Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Alternative to branded Chromaluxe aluminium panels
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 22-08-2017, 11:41 AM
  2. Chromaluxe Panels
    By socialgiraffe in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14-02-2014, 08:57 AM
  3. Sublimating Natural Wood
    By WorthDoingRight in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 07:43 AM
  4. Chromaluxe 20x30cm panels anywhere?
    By Caz in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
  5. Chromaluxe panels
    By fredster in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-09-2010, 02:31 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chromaluxe natural wood display panels

Has anyone printed on these yet?
    I'm having trouble using my clam press because of the thickness.

First attempt

Second

Third

Because I have a clam press I think the trouble is getting even pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With thicker substrates they can often start to flex inside the press when heated due to the temperature difference from base to top. I would try a higher pressure and a 2-3 mm silicone sheet on top of the paper to improve the contact area between the platen and the substrate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Some clam presses do struggle with items like this. Some folk spin the panel around 1/2 way through the process to try and get an even 'cook' but then there is a risk of the print moving slightly. This is where swing presses have the upper hand over cheaper clam presses. I have an Adkins which is great but can't press thicker items like 15/20mm acrylics. My Pressmech on the other hand will press any thickness so not all wings are equal either!
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A11kns Step back a bit.

A clam press opens so the upper platen is at an angle, as the platen comes down it levels out.....if it comes down far enough. The first image shows where the back of your upper platen was making good contact and the front wasn't, ie it was still tilted. Now looking at the images my guess is you tightened the press for the second image, and as the upper platen has come down it has come in contact with the back of the panel, as it gets closed the upper platen moves forward (because it moves through an arc) and pushes your paper towards the front of the press causing ripples in the paper and this is what you see.

So there is the mechanical explanation of what you see. But how do you check it?...

To check, place four ordinary bits of paper on top of your panel, one at each corner, adjust your press (turned off!) so as when closed it JUST touches your panel, chances are it will be just touching at the back and the front will not be quite touching....not sure? Tug the bits of paper at each corner, the back ones will probably offer some resistance and the front ones will fall out. If this happens you know your platen is not in even contact with your panel and you will never get a good print unless you do something to allow for this. BUT what to do?

Answer...make a wedge from something to put under your panel so platen and panel meet parallel to each other, tahdah sorted!

On the other hand I could be completely wrong!!!!!!!

Janners

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Janners. I was thinking of a wedge idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some clam presses will even struggle with thick mouse mats.