Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Advice needed
    By jennywren in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 10:55 PM
  2. Advice needed
    By jennywren in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM
  3. What type of paper do I tell the printer I;m using?
    By adamctid in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-11-2014, 05:22 PM
  4. Advice on purchase of a 3D machine sought
    By James990 in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16-10-2014, 03:51 PM
  5. 3110DN paper type selection + disable colour management in printer
    By wayupnorth in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-07-2014, 04:20 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice needed on what type of printer to purchase

I'm new to this, but very keen and probably a little too impulsive(!)

I purchased a sublimation kit from Amazon about 6 months ago without doing much research.
    The kit contained an Epson XP-225, a Pixmax heat press and a mug press.
    I installed a CISS ink system and it worked after a lot of hiccups.

I've been printing photos onto polyester cushion covers with some success having overcome the problem of resetting the ink supply counter and the inkpad counter but the printer has now given up the ghost and I can see that it will cost more to have it repaired than its original price.

So I've decided that now's the time to purchase a new printer that's more suitable for what I want to do.

The question is which one? I have read a sticky on this forum about printers but it's more than 5 years old so I'm thinking that things must have changed since then and that there are now printers being sold that are specifically for sublimation printing. Am I right?

I read that Ricoh printers are best for this type of work. I'm looking to purchase an A3 printer.
    Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for me. I don't want to make another mistake.

Thank you
    Becky

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ricoh has a good write up as the machine doesnt clogg as much this is down to two reasons.
    1. The nozzle is a lot wider than the Epson (twice the size) so less chance of ink drying
    2. Its generally used with cartridges not a CISS system

An Epson when looked after will last as long, I have a stylus PHOTO 1400 and its been used with my sublimation ink for a few years with no problems this does have a ciss system but I make sure its at the correct height is topped up and i do daily nozzle checks to keep ink flowing.

If you are using a machine just occasionally id say go RICOH if you use it a lot youll save more money buying an Epson, - which one, well id suggest looking at sawgras website and picking one they actually support :)

My advice is free you can ring me anytime and pick my brain 07776296795 or 0191 2894069

Cheers

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your advice Ken.
    I have now looked on that website and on transferpress.
    Would I be right in saying that sublimation printing is more popular than chromoblast because of the costs?
    Looking at the info on printing on cotton it would seem that it's the way to go if one is concentrating on fabric printing as there's far better quality products available in 100%cotton.
    But would that mean I would be unable to print on any sublimation products such as mugs etc?
    I'm guessing that I would need two separate printers if I wanted to do that?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckybecks View Post
    Thank you for your advice Ken.
    I have now looked on that website and on transferpress.
    Would I be right in saying that sublimation printing is more popular than chromoblast because of the costs?
    Looking at the info on printing on cotton it would seem that it's the way to go if one is concentrating on fabric printing as there's far better quality products available in 100%cotton.
    But would that mean I would be unable to print on any sublimation products such as mugs etc?
    I'm guessing that I would need two separate printers if I wanted to do that?
    Yes two printers needed it all depends on width of print you can pick up a good 17inch wide epson on ebay for not a lot. Im testing a printale cotton hopefully this week im picking it up tomorrow.