Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. dishwasher safe mugs and testing
    By viccar in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-05-2018, 12:48 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-11-2013, 09:23 PM
  3. Testing heat press/plate for cold spots
    By Printcess Jen in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
  4. some blanks for testing???
    By Paul in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-04-2011, 09:49 AM
  5. colour help
    By smitch6 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Thread: Colour testing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colour testing

Hello, I recently brought an Epson WF3010 and a pixmax mug press to start making my own mugs. I got some ink and mugs with the printer, which I assumed were lower quality imported inks - they don't have a brand name or anything. However, I decided to use them to see if I could actually get on with sublimating mugs and thought it would be better to do the first lot of test mugs without wasting a more expensive ink. I planned, if I could get on with sub printing, to flush the ink from the printer and replace it with a higher quality ink/mugs.
    Anyway, my first lot of mugs had issues, as I assume everyones have but I've done a few which have come out really nice. I've printed directly from photoshop onto the sub paper and the colours are almost a perfect match for the screen. There is no ink running, no faded bits...nothing! I want to start selling the mugs as soon as possible at the various conventions I do around the country (I have one this weekend as a matter of fact) but I'm worried the ink may fade with time/washing if its a cheaper ink.
    How much testing do you think would be acceptable for these mugs? I've put one through two washes of the dishwasher so far and it looks exactly the same with a clear bright image. I was going to put a little note with each mug advising a hand wash anyway because personally I don't think dishwashers are much good for any kind of print (mugs I've had from shops mass produced have started to fade after a few months washing).
    My line of thinking is: if it can stand up to dish washing, it will be fine for hand washing for a longer period of time. But how long do you think I should test them for? 10 washes through the machine? 5? I'd hate to sell a load and have people come back to me in a few months saying all the ink has washed off. Is there a general time frame people have found for the cheaper inks? I have just brought a branded set of inks which cost me £40 for tiny bottles but I'm kind of reluctant to put it in while these seem to be ok.
    Any advice would be much appreciated =) and thank you!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    With dishwashing, it is more the quality of the coating on the mug (which holds the print) rather than the inks which would be the problem.
    Low quality inks are more likely to give you problems with blocking your printer, or not having very good printed colour, or not been consistent batch to batch.
    For £40-£50 you should have got yourself 100ml of each colour, and hopefully InkTec ink - if this is the case, then you have a good quality pro level ink - you will need an ICC creating for those ink to get the best from them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pisquee, I got Inktec ink but it was £40 for 4 50ml bottles from a seller on amazon. I've watched videos on youtube and read other forum posts staying to stay away from the cheaper inks (and I'm only assuming these are cheaper inks as they were in generic bottles and came with the printer) because after a few washes, they start to either fade or run. However, the colours look so nice, it seems a shame to throw the mugs away if they will last. I plan on switching to the Inktec just for my piece of mind and I've read a little about ICC, where is the best to get one from?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give profiles free for my users of inktec

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk