Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Small Ceramic Tiles
    By Violetsub in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-10-2015, 09:01 AM
  2. Ceramic Tiles
    By Justin in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 12:38 AM
  3. Ceramic Tiles
    By Tania in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  4. Printing on Ceramic Tiles for Outside Use
    By tonyutero in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-05-2012, 09:45 AM
  5. 6 inch circular ceramic tiles
    By roger in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 11:00 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with Ceramic Tiles

OK so I am new to Dye Sub but not to design or print but I am having issues with some tiles.

I purchased a dozen 6 x 8 tiles and a quantity of 6x6 tiles to run some test prints with our new kit. Reproducing fine art images is a major issue but I seem to have the photography side of it nailed now. I use a Nikon D3200 with a 50mm lens, a pair of 5200 soft box lights and am getting fairly true to colour images. I then resize Raw images in Photoshop and make any minor adjustments that may be required. My partner is pleased with the colour replication.

I then print the images on our Ricoh SG 3110n A4 printer which is using Sublet R inks and been set up as per Sawgrass instructions, I also have the correct ICC profile running in photoshop.

My problems are with the 6x8 tiles, poor quality colour, blemishes, fading and a ridicules colour, however I have run some test pressings on the 6x6 tiles and have got amazing results. WHY such a difference??? I have tried increasing the heat slightly and increased the pressing time by an extra 2 mins and yet not produced one saleable 6x8 tile. BTW both sizes of tile were from the same supplier.

The pressing method I am using is as follows.

10mm Nomax type pad
    sheet of silicone paper
    printed image face up
    Tile face down
    sheet of silicone paper
    3mm teflon sheet

I have tried Temp at 190c and also 210c
    pressing time has been 5mins (works great on 6x6 tile) and also tried 7min pressing time on the 6x8.
    All equipment is new.

One final observation on the 6x8 tiles is that the surface seems to have some raised particles under the coating and these end up showing up as very light blotches

I'd appreciate your comments as this is putting the whole venture into jeapordy at the moment and to top it all I've not got much her left to begin with.....

If it helps I can get the camera out and post some examples

Thanks for looking

John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Are the tiles from the same supplier? Do you pre-heat them first? Pics would be good yes.

Are you using the profile rather than Powerdriver? I always found PD better when I used SG inks.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of images to show what I am on about, The 6x6 tiles look good with rich colours however the 6x8 are really poor as mentioned earlier.
    again I'd appreciate any feedback from forum members....

Thanks

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin

Just posted a couple of pics. as you can see the 6x6 look great.

In answer to your questions. I am using PD in Photoshop as I had some great help from Sawgrass during the initial set up.

Secondly I am not preheating the tiles.

and yes bot sizes of tiles were from the same supplier (BMS) searching through the net there seems to be only them and Novachrome supplying these size tiles in the UK. I have looked into Tiles quite deeply and would like to try the products from Bison in the USA but can not find a UK or EU stockist, so if any one knows of other suppliers and can recommend them for quality tiles then please let me know.

Many thanks again

John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, Thought someone may have had the answer to this problem or experienced the same. still leaves me tearing what little hair out that I've got left so any thoughts and or comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks again

John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well looks like we've found the root cause with these 6x8 tiles at last.

I have been in constant contact with Scott at BMS who supplied the tiles and it looks like the problem is overspray in the tile coating, so a new batch should arrive and I'll let you know the outcome. In the meantime I would just like to say a huge thank you to BMS for their support, patience and understanding with this issue and I look forward to using them as my supplier for future products.

again thanks to the forum members for their advice also

Cheers

John