Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Which Printer & Ink would you recommend ...
    By PersonalizedGiftz in forum Printers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 01:12 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-12-2013, 12:36 PM
  3. Anyone recommend a good Pigment Ink based printer
    By kevinjplee in forum Printers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
  4. Anyone recommend a good pigment ink printer?
    By kevinjplee in forum Printers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
  5. Recommend a Printer
    By jay in forum Printers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Please recommend an A3 printer for sublimation

Back when I started out with sublimation last year, I bought a Ricoh SG2100N printer that was very disappointing. It never printed properly and dispite a number of profiles being made, the colours were always way off. So, I ditched the Ricoh and started using my Epson WF3640 and have been doing quite well with it (apart from the blacks never being quite right - although greys are fine).

Anyway, I want to move into making larger items like cushions and such, so want to find a good A3 printer for sublimation. I'm not fussed on brand as long as sublimation Ink is widely available.

I would really appreciate some advice on which printer to go for so that I don't make the same mistake I made with the Ricoh, so any recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Ricoh is the obvious answer, Epson 1500 would give a better print.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Ricoh is the obvious answer, Epson 1500 would give a better print.
    which Ricoh? As I said, had problems with the last Ricoh I bought and it ended up in the bin. Any downside of the Epson?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    2100 was never a 'supported' printer and whilst members report that they have them working ok I wouldn't personally recommend them.

Ricoh SG800 is the current A3 option. Same print quality as the 3110 which is acceptable for most but if you want decent gradients, skin tones etc. you'll struggle a little. The 6 colour Epson is far superior in print quality.

Epson would use (ideally) a CIS bulk system. Get a decent one to try and avoid air locks, I've used City Ink Express in the past with good results.
    Last edited by Justin; 12-03-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

AndWik69 (26-03-2016)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd / highly recommend the epson 1500w.....

highly DONT recommend ANY ricoh for anything other than hammer practice, when one is stressed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    most likely, If you had problems with colours after numerous ICC profiles, then most likely something was wrong with your colour management settings - either in creating the test swatches, or in using the resulting profile, or the inks you were using weren't good (or a mixture of the above)
    That being said, you'll get better results with a 6 colour printer from Epson, and I'd recommend going with their pro level printers rather than office/consumer level ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use my 1500w for sublimation but i do use to for photo prints and the reality is that it is a first class printer. I guess that the ink options are tank based as that would be only concern for heavy usage as the carts are quite small.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    2100 was never a 'supported' printer and whilst members report that they have them working ok I wouldn't personally recommend them.

Ricoh SG800 is the current A3 option. Same print quality as the 3110 which is acceptable for most but if you want decent gradients, skin tones etc. you'll struggle a little. The 6 colour Epson is far superior in print quality.

Epson would use (ideally) a CIS bulk system. Get a decent one to try and avoid air locks, I've used City Ink Express in the past with good results.
    Thanks Justin. Do you use City Ink Express inks too or which brand of ink do you use? Bought City Ink Express stuff for the Ricoh and it didn't work.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    most likely, If you had problems with colours after numerous ICC profiles, then most likely something was wrong with your colour management settings - either in creating the test swatches, or in using the resulting profile, or the inks you were using weren't good (or a mixture of the above)
    That being said, you'll get better results with a 6 colour printer from Epson, and I'd recommend going with their pro level printers rather than office/consumer level ones.
    believe me, I tried everything. The main issue was banding which would be fine for the first couple of prints and then would start banding as the printer gets used. For this reason I completely gave up on the printer.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    epson 1400 or 1500 is first class . just steer away from chinese inks if theyre unfeasible cheap theyre generally not good inks even though sometimes they give decent colour the cleaning agents and other agents aremissing hence theyre cheap ;)