Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Epson 7890 Alternative
    By JMugs in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-09-2015, 10:45 AM
  2. Epson 3880 vs 7890
    By astroanalyst in forum Printers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 10:36 PM
  3. Epson 7890 Profile
    By Justin in forum Printers
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 27-03-2015, 05:29 PM
  4. Sold Epson 7890 - Spares or Repair
    By Fidget242 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epson 7890 - printhead problems!!!! HELP please

I have a problem with my Epson 7890 which is only 11 months old, hardly been used - in fact I didn't use it for a month which has caused the cyan printhead to be partially blocked. When running a nozzle check about quarter of lines were visible if that.

After numerous power cleanings and trying other cleaning solutions I found on youtube there was little improvement.

As I decided to upgrade to a Sawgrass printer and had given up the warranty. I decided to dismantle the printer and see if I could fix it myself - so with the aid of youtube I eventually successfully got to the printhead.

I then cleaned it by flushing cleaner through each colour until clear of any ink and put it back together.

I did a power clean and ran a nozzle check - All the colours were fine again except the cyan - which had improved but this time only half the lines missing. I did run a test print of 100% cyan which looked fine.

Does anyone know what is wrong? - is it the printhead, could it be the Sawgrass ink? Is it fixable or worth anything for spares? Any advise welcome - it seems mad to right off the machine for one colour not printing 100%

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Massive historical issues with this model and Sawgrass inks. This may or may not be your issue. I like many suffered but mine was never right from the start.

If you're using Sawgrass inks I'd speak to them but I can't see them being much help in this situation.

You mention giving up the warranty? What do you mean? My 7890 wasn't bought from SG supplier.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firdt thing is replace the dampers which are a set on these machines with a motor for the black ink swap theyre around 100quid mark. if its still bad then its prob the head. im suprised theres no banding if theres a bunch of nozzles out did you print 100cyan ? (there will be other colours in it )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to upgrade to what I'm told is a more reliable machine the VJ 628. Part of the deal was to give up the warranty on the Epson. They didn't want the Epson back so I thought it was worth trying to fix.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Oh right, I understand. So you are getting the new VJ printer, got you now. Good deal on the new printer. It supposedly uses the same head, suppliers and SG are stating it's an industrial head. I think the inks have changed which may be what was causing the original issues with the 7890. Personally I'd either return it to standard inks (bigger sale market) or look at getting third party inks in now you're out of warranty, no pint in wasting comparatively expensive inks.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When running tests I was sent a file from Sawgrass which isolates the cyan only. I printed 3 x A1 sheets of cyan only which came out perfect - However running a nozzle check after I still had the same problem on the cyan. I was told when it printed the cyan the printers instruction was to flood the ink.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin - If I was to return it to standard inks - do you think that may cure the problem? If so any idea on cost for these?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'm just in the process of selling a set of starter inks for that machine, if you'd asked me 2 days ago! I'm letting them go very cheap, sorry :-( Did you not get starter inks with it?

I don't think that would cure the problem but it's highly likely you'll get more issues further down the line if you keep it on SG subli inks. Some got away with it but most didn't from what I've heard.

I was also sent test files to print blocks of colour. They had me printing for 2 days solid! yep, non stop! that's another story that i won't go into but needless to say it didn't help me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only got the Sawgrass sublimation inks with it - It's v frustrating because I've hardly used the machine at all
    that why I can't see how the printhead itself could be damaged. It was fine before I foolishly didn't use it for a month. That's why I thought a good clean out would clear it.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using cyan only DOES not flood the ink the ink control is chosen by the media choice in the front panel , a Glossy photo media will put down more ink than a matte for eaxmple