Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Magic Touch / Adkins Swing press A3 press
    By JMugs in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-10-2015, 01:12 PM
  2. Ceramic Pint Mugs?
    By TeeDeeCee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  3. Adkins press, should this be like this?
    By scotty44 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-12-2014, 08:03 PM
  4. child/espresso ceramic mugs??
    By spongerobinson in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM
  5. Thank You Martin et all (Printer and Mugs Press problems)
    By Squadron Prints in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with Ceramic Mugs - Adkins press

Hi
    I'm having problems getting my ceramic mugs working consistently. I have an adkins mug press, ricoh printer, use sawgrass inks and TMT paper. I can do the polymer mugs fine but keep having problems with ceramic. I currently use BMS European mugs. I have a problem with the top middle part nearest to me in the press going blurry. The paper looks burnt here and squashed so am guessing the pressure is to high and causes the paper to squash up but I pull it round really tight and have tried with more tape and less tape to keep it in place but it still does this. I've tried loosing the pressure to the point where it doesn't do this but then it doesn't seem tight enough as it's faded in the top middle section and most of the way round the mug but parts come out perfect near the top and bottom so don't understand why pressure isn't even all the way round? I use the same press for polymer and ceramic so don't really want to have to keep tweaking and wasting mugs trying to get it right for every order. Does this sound like something could be wrong with the press itself? I thought maybe the mugs had dips in them and that's what caused the paper to squash but it's hard to tell. If the polymer mugs are fine then does this mean the blanket hasn't gone? The time and temps I do mine on are a lot different to everyone else who has this press. I do Polymers at 160 for 130secs and then dunk in water and ceramics at 165 for 160 secs and rip of paper quickly.
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    Lianne

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On our Adkins we do ceramic mugs at 180c and 130s (dependant on design). What is your counter up to as indeed your element may need replacing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only done 300 mugs and I think the previous owner only did about 300 to 400 as that is what the counter was on and I reset it so I guess he could have been telling porkies! The handle is quite wobbly but it seems to close fine and I can adjust the pressure. you can't seem to be able to tighten anything though, to fix it, as it has rivets on the bit which wobbles (not sure if rivets is the correct word!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our element is new but I have heard reports of them not lasting more than 500 presses. This of course is very low. I would therefore phone Adkins tomorrow and have a chat with their support team. Or Xpres.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn the mug around in the press to see if the problem moves with mug or stays on press (now lower middle of the mug). Does sound like a hot spot on the blanket if it is always same area.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried a new blanket and it still does it so am assuming it must be the mugs and that they have dips in them. But don't understand how they are all in exactly the same place. I've had to move the designs up already due to the bottom being uneven. I've got a box of mugs from Listawood coming tomorrow so hoping these are good as surely if mugs aren't perfectly straight and have dips then everyone will be wasting mugs. I expect to be able to buy a box of mugs and be able to use all of them. Ok you might get the odd faulty one now and then but not the amount that I have piled up here!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Which Adkins press do you have? is it an older model rather than a Studio by any chance?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin, no it's a studio, I bought it second hand last year and the guy only used it for 300 mugs and i've done about 300 too. Unless he lied of course! but polymer mugs come out perfect. The press is quite simple so other than the blanket I don't know what else it could be other than the mugs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You can get a mug count on these presses...but it can be reset ;-) Even so, I've printed thousands on mine over the past few years and not had this issue. I guess you could have a duff box of mugs, it's not unheard of.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A photo of the printed mug problem would help so we can work out if it is under cooked or over.

As also mentioned, turn the mug opposite way around in press to see if it changes. It could be the clamping system is out of alignment. Establishing if it is mug or press is the first part. Listawood mugs will help on that as well.