Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Acrylic Photo Blocks
    By tlworkwear in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-07-2016, 12:29 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  4. Acrylic Photo Blocks
    By Lee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArferMo View Post
    Yes I have a 40W CO2.
    I dont agree with you on a laser's ability to cut clear acrylic, I watched the machine cut 8mm clear acrylic at maybe 20-30mm/ sec. I suppose it must depend on many factors. I checked today with the rep the machine can cut 20mm acrylic in one pass, however the machine's intended use is for 3mm-6mm acrylic and lots of raster work.

My offer of cutting 20mm is more of a "community spirit " thanks rather than a commercial proposition.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading and watching about lazer engravers as I have product in mind that I can engrave from them .Arfermo is your machine is o e of them 40w chinease ebay one ??(if so i don't think you can cut over 6mm )....I think Froggy said he is getting it from UK (hope it's not a re branded Chinese lol) a hi end machine it should CUT over 6mm....Arfomo and Froggy how much you guys paid for them machines??....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure that you are cutting acrylic and NOT plexiglass. Many people confuse polycarbonate or plexiglass as if it were acrylic. When Polycarbonate is cut by a laser, it produces a yellow and blacksmoke that is corrosive to metals and nauseous to breath.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravisteam View Post
    I was reading and watching about lazer engravers as I have product in mind that I can engrave from them .Arfermo is your machine is o e of them 40w chinease ebay one ??(if so i don't think you can cut over 6mm )....I think Froggy said he is getting it from UK (hope it's not a re branded Chinese lol) a hi end machine it should CUT over 6mm....Arfomo and Froggy how much you guys paid for them machines??....
    No its not Chinese its Austrian with a 120 watt ceramic tube in it. As for price all I will say is I could have bought something cheaper but I dont believe in cutting corners on my production machinery.

@afermo, no its acrylic I dont think my supplier would cut something that produces chlorine gas at a trade show.
    Last edited by froggy; 18-01-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Those that 'produce' these blocks, what laminate do you use? I had a sample of double sided from Colourbyte but it's awful for this job. I ordered a roll from Get Canvas but no sign of it coming through and can't get in touch with them.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Also, got sample blocks from a company today, they have been polished but there are swirl marks on the edges from this. I was just reading about flame polishing and also polishing on a buffing wheel which looked very good.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    OK, finally got order from Get Canvas. Made a couple of photo blocks but I'm assuming you really need a laminator for this? I did these by hand but laminate still appears 'blotchy' as I assume it's need more even pressure? Laminate is much thinner than Colourbyte and a little trickier to work with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Ive watched it done on Youtube, they use a laminator. Although I'm sure that Max Speilman do a small photoblock without a laminator, its a couple of years since I last watched one being made.

Canvas and stretcher sell a full set up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArferMo View Post
    Make sure that you are cutting acrylic and NOT plexiglass. Many people confuse polycarbonate or plexiglass as if it were acrylic. When Polycarbonate is cut by a laser, it produces a yellow and blacksmoke that is corrosive to metals and nauseous to breath.
    Plexiglass is a registered trademark for a brand of acrylic sheet
    Polycarbonate , doesnt produce any aggressive by product. Many instrument panels are laser cut polycarbonate sheet.

Lasers are not recommended for use on materials which are composed of polyvinyl chloride, a by product of lasering this substrate is chlorine gas, which is a bit nasty to say the least.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've been putting the laminate onto the block first but think I need to laminate the photo and then apply, either way I think I'll need a laminator.