Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Dark Shirts, Best way to do this...
    By NikGrey in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-10-2013, 05:14 PM
  2. Wanted Dark Green T Shirts
    By Bob700 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 05:05 PM
  3. marks on t-shirts problem
    By kris_hm in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
  4. dark t-shirts
    By smitch6 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 19-01-2011, 12:14 PM
  5. Printing white ink on dark/colour t-shirts
    By steve_c in forum Screen Printing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 18-10-2010, 04:09 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press Marks on Dark T Shirts

Any idea why I get a large area, the same size as the press platen, on the rear of dark T Shirts? Too high pressure or overheating? I have attached an image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes.........
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I've just done my first run of 16 black T's with white vinyl transfers, and one white T with black vinyl transfer for a hen party (my niece's friend). The vinyl transfer all came out great but the press left platen marks on most of the shirts. These shirts were all bought individually by the lasses involved and were of many different designs and materials. The pure cotton ones were no problem at all, as were many of the poly-cotton ones, but the tri-blends (containing viscose, elastane, etc) were a problem, both with platen marks and a smooth, glossy finish, which may have been the result of pressing with a teflon sheet. All vinyl was MDP HotFlex pressed at 160 deg C for 15 secs, peeled, then repressed for 5 secs.

I'm assuming many of you have come across this problem before and just wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction for any future jobs I may do. I realise that letting them buy their own T's was a mistake! I'll suggest to any future customers that cotton or poly-cotton is advisable, or even supply the shirts myself.

Ironing the affected shirts has reduced the press marks somewhat, but I was wondering if washing then ironing would reduce them even further? Would a Teflon pillow, or some other padding have helped?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, i know this is an old thread now, but may help others for future ref, I have had similar problems.

What has helped me so far is using Teflon Pillows similar size to the print you are trying to press, and additionally also using a rubber sheet over the garment instead of Teflon.

The rubber sheets will need to be warmed up before every use (I just hover the platen over it before pressing for about 10/20 seconds, then feel the rubber to ensure its warm enough). You will also need to add an additional 5-10 seconds dwell time to your presses too to compensate for the thickness of the rubber sheet.

But the combination of Teflon Pillow underneath your garment and Rubber Sheet over it has really helped alleviate most of my pressing and scorching issues when working with Poly garments.

Target Transfers sell the Rubber Sheet in the UK: https://www.targettransfers.com/grip...6-x-56-cm.html
    The Teflon pillows: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sublimati...R/163610218111

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colour usually comes back on cotton when the garment has cooled and been in the air for a while.
    Polyester is a bit different. On cheaper garments - where the manufacturer has saved money in production of the yarn - the dyed yarn hasn't always been heat set fully. Heat from the heatpress will cause some 'gassing out' of the dye, leading to slight colour loss.

Blends containiing elastaine can be a problem because you are partially melting the elastaine and the garment can end up with a sheen on top of any colour loss.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks pw66 Im using 100% Polyester garments, where the manufacturer suggests pre-washing before sublimation or HTV.

From your experience does this help alleviate issues too?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juggysingh View Post
    Thanks pw66 Im using 100% Polyester garments, where the manufacturer suggests pre-washing before sublimation or HTV.

From your experience does this help alleviate issues too?
    A little. HTV uses lower temp than sublimation so the colour change isn't so bad.
    Try using a low temperature vinyl at 130c to reduce the problem, such as TMT 123.