Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. looking for a ribbon printer
    By logobear in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-10-2015, 05:44 PM
  2. Ribbon printer
    By jools in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-09-2014, 10:46 PM
  3. Wanted ribbon printer with software.
    By Photo-Lite in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-01-2013, 09:30 PM
  4. ribbon printer
    By india in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 25-08-2012, 09:44 AM
  5. Ribbon printer, any tips?
    By logobear in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just setup a new printer. Brother TP-M5000N Tape and Ribbon Printer

Came home from work today to a set of packages in the Hall way. ;-)

So, having setup the driver, updated the firmware and installing the print design software I have just made my first Printed 50 mm packaging tape run.

I must say I am quite impressed. I am on a day off tomorrow so I might do some Ribbon. Has anyone else tried this? I think it will be nice offer custom small runs for Etsy orders. But also I think a market for selling branded packing tape to other Etsy sellers etc.

I am really impressed with speed/quality of the print. I just need to work out definite costs and sale prices now. I think i'll leave that for a more active brain in the morning.

Alex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Looks like a fantastic bit of kit, not cheap but looks very professional. Interesting to see what you do with it :-)

Tapes don't look too expensive.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having looked online it's not quite what I was expecting so I deleted my previous post, as it wasn't very relevant!

It's certainly fast in operation, though as Justin said it's not cheap...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true its not cheap. We needed to get it for some jobs we have, but now I need to look and see if it can add value to the business in other ways.

Its fast, and importantly easy to use. Within minutes I had imported our logo and was printing the first role of 50 mm Clear tape with black print on it. It works out at about 25p per meter to make. We will using it also on orders we send out. Sealing the box with normal cheapy tape and then putting this at the top of the box for a nice finish.

I'll put some pics up when I have had a bit more of a play and printed some stuff without company logo's etc. I don't really want to put those online.

Alex

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tubstar For This Useful Post:

Justin (21-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubstar View Post
    That's true its not cheap. We needed to get it for some jobs we have, but now I need to look and see if it can add value to the business in other ways.

Its fast, and importantly easy to use. Within minutes I had imported our logo and was printing the first role of 50 mm Clear tape with black print on it. It works out at about 25p per meter to make. We will using it also on orders we send out. Sealing the box with normal cheapy tape and then putting this at the top of the box for a nice finish.

I'll put some pics up when I have had a bit more of a play and printed some stuff without company logo's etc. I don't really want to put those online.

Alex
    Is that 25p per metre likely to drop when you purchase supplies in bulk, or locate a cheaper source?

Compared to online prices for bespoke printed tape it looks a little scary, though obviously you have the advantage of printing small order runs at a premium price.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That price does seem to be from the cheapest source I can find at the moment. It can do 15 mm, 38 mm and 50 mm widths in both packaging tape and ribbon. I think the 38 mm width tape works out at about 17p per meter. Its pretty new though and maybe if it takes off economies of scale may drive price down. Its not something I am counting on though.

One of the tasks I am using it for is to seal t-shirt boxes. The tape has a repeat pattern of the company Logo and either S, M, L, etc. Then 10cm of tape at each end of the box will secure the lid and make stacked boxes easy enough to identify.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either I'm having a bad day on the calculator or something as I just can't work out the logistics with this gizmo for sticking a single colour logo or text on to packing tape.

Gizmo cost £700/800.... forget that as it just makes the calculations even more ludicrous.

A single colour cartridge costs £59 (forget the delivery) 50mm x 310m, most people use 50mm tape. A normal 50mm roll of packing tape is 66m long. So one cartridge gives you the equivalent of 4.7 rolls of packing tape (not counting the cost of the cores that you also have to buy) so works out at cost price 19p/m OUCH. How much mark up 80%, 100% 240% then add on small parcel post and packing to get it to a wealthy customer. Even at cost that's about £15 per roll sent to a customer with no profit or recuperation of initial outlay on the printer. Can't see many going for that when you can go online and buy 66m rolls or 3 (three) colour printed packaging tape to your own design delivered for £2.78 per roll.

Think if it was me I'd use it for ribbon printing weddings/birthdays/florists where you can add a decent mark up and shorter run lengths and superb profit margins.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the numbers don't exactly add up that favourably for mass use. We got a very good deal on the unit itself.

The main thing I intend to use it for is branding/sealing garment boxes. Also using it to make ribbon to personalise for premium guest/benefactors to our visitor attraction.

We will use it for my wife's etsy shop to sell small custom runs. Also, to brand the outgoing orders with our logo without having to buy 72 rolls to secure the price you mention AferMo.

Its definitely not a great money earner, but the idea for us to to try and supplement the cost of something we need for some very specific tasks. I have found it better in the long run to do things ourselves if we can as our standards are high and others can let us down on time scales as well as quality. I guess I may be a control freak at heart.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes, sometimes profit is made indiectly, but using processes that, while costly in themselves, enhance, and therefore make more desirable, other products that you sell.

A simple example are the badges I sometimes give away free with items I've sold.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can see some benefit in it and in terms of profitability I think webtrekker and Tubstar hit the nail on the head on how it will make its money.

Out of interest how much would 1 roll of 15mm tape cost?

I have an idea that might work depending on the cost....
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...