Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Good place to buy Fabric wholesale ??
    By Ravisteam in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-10-2015, 08:36 PM
  2. Excel - Exporting into Word
    By Justin in forum Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-10-2014, 10:13 PM
  3. Wholesale baby bibs
    By danlad in forum Clothing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  4. exporting from Corel Draw
    By mrs maggot in forum Software
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 26-04-2011, 01:32 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exporting wholesale to the US

I have been selling one off products for a while now to all sorts of countries and have never had to deal with customs charges or similar due to the low value.

I have some interested parties in the United States that are looking to order larger quantities from me and am looking for some guidance of anyone who knows. If I was going to send say £500 worth of T-shirts and £500 of mugs to America would it just be standard import duty that would have to be paid by the recipient?

That £500 is a retail value so would I be able to just put the raw materials cost price as the value to save some fees this way?

Hoping to hear of anybody who has done something similar

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below is an excerpt from the direct gov website on exporting out of the EU. Its a useful site I have used a few times now. Hope it helps.

3. Export outside the EU[/h]There are more tasks to complete to export outside the EU than within it. You may also need to pay import duty in the country you’re exporting to.

• Check the import rules of the country you’re exporting to. Talk to your importer or get help researching your export market.
    • Check if you need a licence to export restricted goods outside the UK.
    • Find your goods’ commodity code - you’ll need this for your commercial invoice. The code affects any import duty that will be charged.
    • Register for an EORI number, if you don’t have one. It usually takes 3 working days. Tell your courier or freight forwarder the number when you get it.
    • Your courier or freight forwarder will ask you to complete a commercial invoice. When filling in the value of your goods, use the price you’re selling them for (listing separately any freight or export insurance you included in the price). For free samples, use the market value of the goods.
    • Attach the commercial invoice (and licence, if you need one) to your consignment.

Your courier or freight forwarder will use your commercial invoice to make an official customs declaration. Your goods can be held up in customs if the information you give isn’t accurate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are supposed to declare the amount actually paid by recipient. The recipient then would pay the relevant fee percentage relating to the goods. Usually all handled by the courier. At the end of the day you can put any figure you want to down which is what you find happens with many Chinese deliveries but it could get you in a bit of trouble if caught. Would stick to the rules and try to work the cost to be manageable for both of you.

If you are sending by pallet you will also need the correct one otherwise the delivery can be refused or repackaged at your cost. It is all quite easy in reality though so wouldn't let it put you off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember also to check your company insurance policy to ensure you are covered for selling goods to the USA. This country is not always included as standard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have managed to read up, if the package is marked as 'other' on the CN22 sticker and the value is less than $800 then there will be no charges to pay.

Does that sound correct?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justr77 View Post
    From what I have managed to read up, if the package is marked as 'other' on the CN22 sticker and the value is less than $800 then there will be no charges to pay.

Does that sound correct?
    I don't think you can assume that. We don't have a free trade agreement with the US so you can't assume that goods and services won't attract taxes. I've known gifts coming from the US to the UK attracting VAT and handling charges and that's just for items recorded with a value of less than £50. When any goods leave us for countries outside of the EU then local taxes and charges are at the customers expense.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just fill out the declaration honestly and accurately. Get the proper commodity codes etc.
    The value for declaration, includes shipping - basically everything that your client has paid you, they then pay the local handling fees, import duty, and taxes on top of that.
    They should work out what the import costs will be, this isn't really your responsibility.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    I don't think you can assume that. We don't have a free trade agreement with the US so you can't assume that goods and services won't attract taxes. I've known gifts coming from the US to the UK attracting VAT and handling charges and that's just for items recorded with a value of less than £50. When any goods leave us for countries outside of the EU then local taxes and charges are at the customers expense.
    The threshold for importing into the US is very high, but only £15 importing into the UK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have to declare the price the client is paying. Use this on-line calculator to get a rough idea.
    The goods should also conform to US manufacturing standards and have the relevant documentation regarding flammability etc.
    The real secret is to wisdom is to listen to the wise and follow their advice

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last lot of commercial stuff I sent to the states the client arranged the import. I am sure there was no import duties as the value was just under $1000.