Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Data Protection
    By liannef in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-04-2015, 07:35 AM
  2. Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000
    By funkey monkey in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-04-2014, 09:19 PM
  3. paypal buyer protection is 180 days instead of 45 days from june.
    By viccar in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18-04-2014, 01:52 AM
  4. UV protection question
    By JBDesign in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
  5. Paypal protection my A*"'#
    By Mattie in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Full PC Protection

I currently have several drives installed, SSD for OS, 3Tb HDD for data and so on.

I clone the main drive to another identical SSD and also to another HDD.

The data drive is backed up to an external drive and backed up to the cloud wherever possible.

I use Rollback Rx PC which works well...generally.

I thought I had all bases covered, not as complicated as it sounds! Until, the other day I ran my clone software and had an issues that changed a couple of drive numbers and wiped the drives. I eventually got everything back from the backups but it took a couple of days. My main OS drive wasn't affected so I wasn't overly worried.

My reason for posting, I'd very much like a much more simple and safe way to backup the whole PC in case of crashes etc. I've been thinking about setting up another PC in case but it seems such overkill. I could use an external RAID but wondered nit anyone had any advice on this please?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    DVD's!

Seriously, although a bit time-consuming they beat all these external drive solutions hands down.

Recently my main pc, which had RAIDed drives, went tits up and it was only due to the expertise of my local computer shop that I managed to retrieve the data. Now, although I keep backups on external HDD's, I keep anything that I couldn't afford to lose on DVD's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloud storage for templates, pics etc....
    and below as well....

Have 2 main pcs identical software, drives, folders etc......but also have them both linked together,
    so we can get access to the other pcs if anything new comes in and one person dont have the pic/designs
    on that pc....they can go into the other pc and get it - and vice versa...One of those is very high spec machine,
    other one is med spec, but still fully capable if needed to

Also have high end lappy with 16gig mem with same software on it as other 2.....but thats our total fail safe in case of power surge or something
    and the other 2 go tits up

Canny beat 2 identical pcs justin.....decent 2nd pc you can build for around £300 ( not incl monitor ) - dead easy to do m8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Appreciate RAID isn't a good backup. DVD's not an option, I need incremental backups and quick restore features etc.

I have been toying with building another but I think I need to simplify everything, maybe with a server, not sure.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RAID (mirrored) as your nas, with auto backup (striped) using a different file system, so if hacked by randsom ware, - they wont get both.
    We also have twin removable external usb drives, so 1 is off site at any time too.
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    think I'll grab the missus PC she uses here and get everything working on there as well for a backup PC :-)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    All our files are saved to a 4 drive RAID NAS, this is then backed up to an Amazon cloud drive.

We did get a ransom ware attack, which took out files from all the PCs on the network, as well as the 3 NAS drives, as the NAS drives were online/mounted (can't remember the correct term) on the PCs at the time. Thankfully it seemed to take most recent files first, and I got everything off/offline quickly, we'd lost different files from each PC and NAS, which meant we could piece everything back together, and I think (will never know for sure!) that we only lost the previous day's photoshoot - if we;d lost everything I'm not sure how we'd have survived as a business.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The amount of unnecessary crap I have backed up is ridiculous. Years of stuff which have no importance any more. When you start backing up entire drives, it's harder to keep them safe because those drives tend to stay connected to the infected PC risking all your back ups too.

I just back up the essential folders which are quite small over a few different drives. Some at work, some at home in case of fire or theft.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    That's a very good point, a good time for a clean up!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    All our files are saved to a 4 drive RAID NAS, this is then backed up to an Amazon cloud drive.

We did get a ransom ware attack, which took out files from all the PCs on the network, as well as the 3 NAS drives, as the NAS drives were online/mounted (can't remember the correct term) on the PCs at the time. Thankfully it seemed to take most recent files first, and I got everything off/offline quickly, we'd lost different files from each PC and NAS, which meant we could piece everything back together, and I think (will never know for sure!) that we only lost the previous day's photoshoot - if we;d lost everything I'm not sure how we'd have survived as a business.
    That's where DVD's would be a lifesaver. They're immune to ransomware too.