Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. MDF Coasters
    By ScotTs in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM
  2. 9cm coasters
    By robhil in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM
  3. Coasters
    By GoonerGary in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 15-02-2014, 01:08 PM
  4. new coasters
    By smitch6 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj2552 View Post
    AH...so it not just us then....thank for that !
    Funny thing is...they started out great....and i mean GREAT ! - hot or cold peel not one bit o coaster came off....
    So wth has changed ?:
    I'll assume you move the tape instantly burning your fingers? I've tried to move tape from a cold mug and it's like superglue. But when the adhesive on the tape is hot and melted, it slides off. I'm probably stating the obvious to you here and you've tried it already!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BMS got in touch this morning and they are talking to the manufacturer today as well as sending us some older coasters to print from previous shipment to see if they were ok.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it is a waste of paper but I print 2 coaster on a a4 sheet and fold the paper over the cork and tape, no matter what coaster I use this does not fail. Even on the cheapest coasters.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    next time i'd use a thicker wood
    Would it not be better to get it cut out of metal?

I realise that the metal would be very hot but no different to mugs, I am thinking something that sits on the heat press, you place the coasters into the squares and then the sheet of paper over it (no tape). would that not work or am I missing something?
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Would it not be better to get it cut out of metal?

I realise that the metal would be very hot but no different to mugs, I am thinking something that sits on the heat press, you place the coasters into the squares and then the sheet of paper over it (no tape). would that not work or am I missing something?

... or even moulded in silicone. Print a template, arrange the coasters exactly onto the template, and pour silicone rubber over them. When set, the mould will be exactly sized to your template and, to release the finished coasters, all you'd need to do would be to flex the silicone, like those moulds for making cakes and stuff in the oven. Would be a simple job to create duplicate moulds too for extra jigs.

This high temperature resistant stuff might do it...https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTV-High-Te...-/272480053423
    Last edited by webtrekker; 27-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennywren View Post
    I know it is a waste of paper but I print 2 coaster on a a4 sheet and fold the paper over the cork and tape, no matter what coaster I use this does not fail. Even on the cheapest coasters.

not so much waste of paper...its time and practicality...

doing 500 - 1000 coaster runs this again is not feasible - sorry....thats fine if you poodling about with small amount of coaster orders.
    we always have 12 coasters on heat press at any one time - 2 x a4 sheets paper x 6 coaster per sheet - 12 printing at a time...
    and even then, we could do with bigger press for convenience and to add/speed up productivity ;(

mouse mats are the same - 2 at time on the press for quickness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Printed Mugs View Post
    BMS got in touch this morning and they are talking to the manufacturer today as well as sending us some older coasters to print from previous shipment to see if they were ok.

same here ;) spoke to jo, martins wife..nice lady ;)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metal would be good too "SocialGiraffe" - never really thought about using that lol.
    Regarding the silicone "Webtrekker" - good idea too, but would it not mis-shape, or go floppy, resulting in reject coaster prints?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    Metal would be good too "SocialGiraffe" - never really thought about using that lol.
    Regarding the silicone "Webtrekker" - good idea too, but would it not mis-shape, or go floppy, resulting in reject coaster prints?

There is a chance of that, but you can get various grades of silicone, I believe, that would set harder if needs be.

SG's metal idea is good too. Could probably be CNC'd from a block of aluminium.

I'm a bit reluctant to suggest MDF because of the possibility of releasing formaldehyde fumes under heat and pressure.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that having some other material on the back to protect it from the tape may work. Obviously any adhesive would probably make it worse. I have a small warco guillotine and cut out a piece of sub aluminium just under the coaster size. Bending the corners inwards creates a "claw" that locates on the 4 corners. As the coaster corners are radiussed the bent tabs prevent the coaster moving in the cover. The cover is placed on the coaster back and located/taped as usual. It only takes a couple of seconds to pop the cover on/off. I guess you may need 3 or more sets for uninterrupted pressing. The ally plate may affect pressing time as it acts as a heatsink, however this can easily be adjusted as it will be a constant.

Pic shows simple (crude) mockup just to prove the point and to show the principle. Subli metals will be able to cut the blanks to your spec, I am assuming that not all manufacturers make coasters the same size...

Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wayupnorth For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (27-11-2017)