Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. hi vis vests
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
  2. Hi Viz Vests?
    By edwardsmedia in forum Clothing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 31-01-2012, 12:59 PM
  3. 30 Hi viz vests
    By Mugsman in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-10-2011, 09:29 PM
  4. Hi Vis Vests
    By Jason in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-03-2011, 08:12 PM
  5. Hi Viz Vests needed
    By mr-inks in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-09-2010, 02:36 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi via vests messy

Any great tips on how to avoid getting your press in a mess doing hi via vests? Got an enquiry for 50 with customer supplying the vests, Last time I used 150 degree vinyl, did them outside too! would 120 degree reduce the mess? What temp does the yellow mess start floating around!?! Or isn't it temp related? Stuff seems to go everywhere and makes me hate the idea of doing them but needs must and all that!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you (or anyone) tried these with hi viz vests? I always use a cover sheet but not tried these, I thought it was fluorescent fibers that somehow waft into crevices on the press and re-emerge when you don't want them too! I had to waste a few white T shirts getting rid of the effect last time, I'd even done the job outside too hoping it might limit the yellow mist spread!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done loads of Hi Vis vests and never had this problem. Maybe I've been lucky. I press at 160 for vinyl and 190 for subli. I usually put a piece of baking paper over the whole of the garment just so the reflective tape doesn't directly touch the press.
    You could try putting a cover over both parts of the press to protect them from the fibers. Remove them when doing other stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I use baking paper too, perhaps i need a bigger top sheet to stop it drifting into crevices of my Adkins beta swing press, thats possibly where it goes to hide! Could heat tape it up the sides,,,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-gobby View Post
    Yes I use baking paper too, perhaps i need a bigger top sheet to stop it drifting into crevices of my Adkins beta swing press, thats possibly where it goes to hide! Could heat tape it up the sides,,,
    Strange, I have exactly the same press.
    What make are your HI Vis Vests?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'yellow mist' is the dye in the fabric turning to gas when it gets hot. Hi Vis fabric is sublimation dyed, in the same way that football shirts are. The gassing tends to happen at higher temps - 150/160c is the temp that most quality dyed vest start to release some colour, but it is only really a problem at higher temps.
    I mainly use Yoko vests and don't have much of a problem when using vinyl. If I sublimate onto them at 200c then I need a cover sheet and a deep clean of the press after printing.

If you are seeing a visible cloud at 150c then you need to find another vest to print onto. Make sure you have good ventilation ( preferably extraction) and a face mask. You don't want to be breathing that stuff in. Don't risk your health just because your customer is too cheap to let you earn a pound on the blank garment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-gobby View Post
    I had to waste a few white T shirts getting rid of the effect last time, I'd even done the job outside too hoping it might limit the yellow mist spread!
    If you use sign vinyl, keep the backing paper to use as a cover sheet, silicone side down. You ideally need a piece of paper larger than the platen - Nova Chrome sell chip shop paper that is cheap and works very well.

Isopropyl Alcohol is good for cleaning the platen. Most sign making suppliers sell it for about £10 litre ( MDP Supplies etc).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

Earl Smith (09-01-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    gotta cover of the floro subs into your press....
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK