Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Bone China mugs from China
    By GoonerGary in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-01-2014, 10:06 AM
  2. Importing From China through AliBaba
    By pisquee in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-01-2012, 09:38 PM
  3. Importing Blanks from China.
    By totallypersonal in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM
  4. importing files
    By pipesy in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
  5. Importing PDF into Coreldraw
    By Justin in forum Software
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Importing from China

Someone mentioned that if you imported stock from China as an individual person rather than a business, you could save on fees? So was that to a business address or a home address? What do people do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no you don't save on fees.

Anything over £15 in value requires import VAT to be paid - though if you are VAT registered then you can get that back.

The only time you might pay more as a business is on duty with large scale imports. Generally duty less than £350 (I think ) is disregarded by HMRC so depending on what category you are importing in your order could be over £3000 or more before duty is payable.

For my small business orders I just need to account for the import VAT and courier fee for admin of the VAT. But that would be the same for a personal purchase over £15 as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could pay the import duty of 8% to the government, and sleep easier at night not worrying about stuff which may or may not happen in the future.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found the member who made the original claim, but nothing in his linked information stated anything useful.

I've always had to pay VAT and the courier handling fees, so unless the supplier has sent the item as a 'gift' that's the only way he could have saved money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was me

as individual person at a home address there is no import duties from china as they class it as home or personal

if you say use my company address and my home address they will automatically send me a FedEx import bill as they assume it's for a company.go on google and type import duties from china, and it tells you none

hope this helps as when the company send it me they used my company address and it was a few samples,I hade to contact company and get them to resend the invoice in my own name and email FedEx ,import duties removed immediately
    Directdesignsupplied.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's incorrect.

You still pay duty even for personal use

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

If you visit China then you have a duty free allowance of £390 but you must bring the items in personally, if you use a courier than you are subject to normal import limits
    https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu
    Last edited by Customprintwales; 07-02-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's an option on the CN22 forms for Commercial Sample. Perhaps this is what your Chinese supplier was using? But any individual who buys from outside the EU will face custom charges over the value of £15. Nobody escapes that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chinese suppliers often assume they are doing you a favour buy doing a dodgy bit on customs forms. Either samples or undervaluing price of goods. The latter happened to me with a few suppliers where I had to go out of my way to actually get the full amount declared. Being vat registered so claiming that back then it is not worth messing about. Many are more than happy to sell you £1k stock and put down for customs it was only £100. Personally, wouldn't mess with HMRC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, if you are VAT registered you are playing with fire as you can get it back.

If you are VAT registered then you are only going to get hit with duty at about 2.5% unless you are buying in substantial quantities and fall under more specific goods categories. Even then you're talking mainly 8% - 15% and at that order quantity you're getting pretty good discounts that should more than cover the duty.

For most small businesses there's little benefit in asking or getting under valuation of goods.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, if they put a lower amount on the customs form the VAT and duty authorities can look at the amount you paid from the bank/paypal if they want to.
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.