Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Laptop - Downgrading Win 8 to Win 7
    By Justin in forum Hardware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-11-2014, 08:48 AM
  2. upgrading my laptop O/S to W8 Pro
    By bigj2552 in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM
  3. new laptop :-)
    By bigj2552 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-04-2012, 02:29 PM
  4. Laptop covers
    By pesketta in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 18-05-2011, 06:15 PM
  5. Laptop Cases
    By R.Prints in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Thread: New laptop

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New laptop

Hiya. My laptop is in need of an upgrade. Any tips/ suggestions? I run Photoshop, sub printer, normal printer, scanner, silhouette studio for vinyl cutter plus office applications. I'm often running all at once.
    Currently have a 6 year old lenovo ideapad. Apparently with VAT increase and pound dropping since then, my budget of £500ish won't get me much of an upgrade so I'm hoping 1 of you lovely lot might know of a deal or be able to suggest something suitable.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the current spec of your machine?

There are some good laptops out there around the £500 mark. Certainly capable enough for running the likes of Photoshop.

You might struggle with USB ports though...I guess a decent hub would sort that.

Take a wander around your local Currys/PC World to get a feel for what's about. Then check online and you may find similar for less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If going for an Intel chip look for an i5 processor ( unless you get lucky and find an i7 for your budget). The extra processing capacity ( over the older i3 ) will be useful when using multiple packages and drivers simultaneously.
    Last edited by pw66; 06-02-2018 at 10:03 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

theoriginalmadco (06-02-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Whilst away on business a few years ago I bought a very cheap laptop, not sure on spec but we're talking £200 purchase. It was so slow it was useless so I installed a small SSD. The difference was night and day. It doesn't seem to matter what the processor and memory are it does the job so quickly! Corel/Photoshop, no problems.

I use a MacBook Pro for day to day work now and uhm'd and argh'd over a Dell XPS but glad I went Mac for this.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Whilst away on business a few years ago I bought a very cheap laptop, not sure on spec but we're talking £200 purchase. It was so slow it was useless so I installed a small SSD. The difference was night and day. It doesn't seem to matter what the processor and memory are it does the job so quickly! Corel/Photoshop, no problems.

I use a MacBook Pro for day to day work now and uhm'd and argh'd over a Dell XPS but glad I went Mac for this.
    Thanks. Hubby has said about solid state drive (ssd-i assume)? But think it will pump price right up. I'm wondering about desktop hidden behind tv and working on lower spec laptop that is essentially the desktop screen so i get grunt of desktop with the portability of laptop. I'm disabled and can't stay in 1 position for long so sitting at a desk all day isn't doable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The idea is that you keep your existing laptop and replace the slow hard drive with an SSD drive. Your laptop will boot up in seconds. You clone your existing hardrive and copy it onto the new SSD drive..plenty of tutorials on the internet. Your old hard drive and be put into a portable caddy and used as an external/ portable hardrive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELUTENG-Tra...70_&dpSrc=srch

Asusming this fits your laptop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inc...d%2Bdrive&th=1