Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Bemused by strange hue on a Mug
    By Lucifax in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 04:17 PM
  2. Clam Shell press
    By BillyG in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-11-2016, 08:41 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-03-2015, 11:56 AM
  4. Strange request
    By TonyM in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 11:02 AM
  5. Strange problem
    By sam in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-05-2010, 12:24 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question soft shell jackets, etc... might be a strange question!!

Hi

I've been doing a club logo on the left chest area on t-shirts, polos, jumpers, and hoodies for a client. They are now interested in jackets - the soft shell type being one, bomber jacket another.

They have asked a question - does embroidery make the jacket no longer waterproof?? i'm guessing because of the needle holes.

anyone have any information on this?

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you can get an iron on waterproof backing for the embroidery to re-proof it
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three ply softshell has a middle layer of waterproof laminate, so you will need a waterproof backing. Cheaper 2 ply doesn't have the waterproof laminate, so although it will make the garment less waterproof it doesn't really matter because it was only 'showerproof' in the first place.

You can also heatpress onto softshell, but you must use a blockout vinyl to avoid dye migration. Try to keep the temperature below 175c - any higher and you risk the waterproof membrane delaminating. You can sublimate onto lighter colours, but the temperature issue will probably limit you to 2 ply jackets, without the waterproof membrane.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    you can get an iron on waterproof backing for the embroidery to re-proof it
    do you have a brand? or name?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    Three ply softshell has a middle layer of waterproof laminate, so you will need a waterproof backing. Cheaper 2 ply doesn't have the waterproof laminate, so although it will make the garment less waterproof it doesn't really matter because it was only 'showerproof' in the first place.

You can also heatpress onto softshell, but you must use a blockout vinyl to avoid dye migration. Try to keep the temperature below 175c - any higher and you risk the waterproof membrane delaminating. You can sublimate onto lighter colours, but the temperature issue will probably limit you to 2 ply jackets, without the waterproof membrane.
    thank you for the info, i'll need to check what ply the jackets are. i did think it might be a bit pointless if the jacket was only shower proof... the jackets have a concealed pouch for embroidery, so i don't think water would get through to the skin anyway!!

as for vinyl, it wasn't something i'd thought about but certainly will now. we have embroidered one colour logos of this design so vinyl is something to think about as well. thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly press onto Result, Uneek and Russell softshell using mdp 'blockout' (160c) with no problems of dye migration or delamination. I made the mistake once of using ordinay white hotflex, and the migration was the worse I have ever seen. It took a day or two to start, but kept getting worse for weeks - it looked like the white flex had gone mildew.

Be careful of the temperature if using a heat applied waterproof backing. I don't know how susceptable to dye migration embroidery thread is, but it could potentialy be a problem.

Have you printed jackets before? If not, one thing to remember ( learnt the hard way!) is that the plastic zips can melt if exposed to the heat press. Use pads or pillows if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    I regularly press onto Result, Uneek and Russell softshell using mdp 'blockout' (160c) with no problems of dye migration or delamination. I made the mistake once of using ordinay white hotflex, and the migration was the worse I have ever seen. It took a day or two to start, but kept getting worse for weeks - it looked like the white flex had gone mildew.

Be careful of the temperature if using a heat applied waterproof backing. I don't know how susceptable to dye migration embroidery thread is, but it could potentialy be a problem.

Have you printed jackets before? If not, one thing to remember ( learnt the hard way!) is that the plastic zips can melt if exposed to the heat press. Use pads or pillows if needed.
    Spoke to the client and they'll definitely be wanting embroidery. So now i will check into the thread.

Haven't done jackets before, but have done some gym sacs and had already read about using a pad/pillow to avoid burning the handles on those, but not sure if i'd have thought about the zips, so thank you! always seems like there is so much to learn!!

i can't remember the brands of the jackets off hand, i think i gave them a choice of about 10 different ones. but i did check the quality after you mentioned it, and there is a mixture of 2 ply and 3 ply, so it will all depend now on which jacket they plump for!

thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQfan View Post
    do you have a brand? or name?
    Pretty sure Madeira do one. We've used it on kit bags before but we've had the roll so long I can't be 100% if it's theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Europa&Ganymede View Post
    Pretty sure Madeira do one. We've used it on kit bags before but we've had the roll so long I can't be 100% if it's theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i have had to create an account with them as can't seem to find it anywhere else. thank you so much