Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-03-2017, 12:49 PM
  2. Plastic Card Printing
    By windyash in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-05-2014, 12:39 PM
  3. Printing onto Card
    By Jason in forum Printers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
  4. Leaflet and business card printing
    By pitkin2020 in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-03-2012, 04:37 PM
  5. id card printing
    By Jason in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Printing 300gsm Card in-house

I currently use Printed.com to print and prepare small cards for retail packaging. The only issue I have is they have changed their postage and on a small order they're asking for £20+ due to our location. This makes a great product become quite expensive.

So, I have been thinking about getting an A3 printer, print onto 300gsm white card, guillotine individual cards and then use a corner rounder to finish. I'd get about 9 cards on the A3 sheet and only tend to run 100/200 at a time so shouldn't take too long.

I've been looking at the Canon Pixma Pro-100S. It states it can print onto 300gsm. I know they 'recommend' Canon media but I'm hoping generic card would print well. I'm then looking at the Warrior Manual Corner Cutter which looks like it would do 10/20 cards at a time with ease.

I was perfectly happy with Printed.com but the hiked price for postage can't be absorbed.

Anyone used this printer before? Does anyone know anywhere else like Printed.com that could print/cut/corner the card to a specific size?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin. That's a real shame about the postage prices as we use printed.com a lot for greeting cards and also for our mug box inserts (custom job). We do have two A3 printers that we use for both fine art prints but also card printing. The Canon Pro 1 (https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/ink...a/pixma_pro-1/) is a must if you want to do Giclee prints but for regular digital printing then we use The Canon IP8750 which is just fantastic (https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/ink.../pixma_ip8750/). We have gone up to 300gsm in this before I'm sure. You won't though get to the same quality that printed.com do due to the coatings they have pre and post printing I believe but for small retail cards it should be perfect. We only ever use genuine Canon inks but if only for retail cards then you can get VERY cheap non-oem inks. The Canon IP8750 should be around the £180 mark I believe. Feel free to email over one of your small card artworks and we will print it out on the 8750 and post to you if you want to see sample first? Olly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to use this sort of punch for passport photos. I have seen them in other sizes, but you'd need to hunt for them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Galaxy-Phot.../dp/B00KCNSPMK

Or US passport square versions:

https://www.amazon.com/2x2-Tabletop-.../dp/B01G7PZBAA
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 27-02-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Canon iP8750. Im a photographer also and ive even printed canvas on it. its a really good printer which prints on card and lots of other media.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The cards are approx. 150mm x 85mm, no problem cutting them up as we're not doing too many at a time.

I did read about the iP8750 but if I'm not mistaken it doesn't have a straight through paper feed path?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct Justin it feeds from top of printer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin, could you not have them shipped somewhere on the mainland, and then get them to post them on ? would cut down the costs a bit
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    We do this with some deliveries and get them sent over through our freight forwarding company but this is still £16+vat for a small box :-(

Best option is to get them collected by ParcelFarce and sent all the way but a lot of companies won't allow collection.

I'm checking postage prices with them again, it may be that we can split even smaller orders in 2 and get the postage down to £5 per delivery, still too much for what we're getting but I have to factor in the cost of the printer/card and labour I guess. I do like bringing production in-house wherever possible, at least you get what you want every time!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm the first to admit it....I may well be a donkey!!

I use an HP Z2100 4" printer for canvas/stickers etc. Suddenly remembered it has a rear feed for sheets although I never use it. So, I look it up on HP website and it says it will accept media up to 500gsm!

So I may have solved my own problem! Doh! I just need to get some card to test it now!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Justin, are you a "trade" client on printed.com which gives you 15% off prices? This normally always gives us free postage (based on discount being more than postage costs).