Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. So bored!!!
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
  2. never been as bored.
    By bigj2552 in forum Marketing & Advertising
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Lol, good job Jason doesn't get on here much! He's too busy doing........well, who knows eh??

Completely agree about the investment level, makes perfect sense.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Argos clearance place near us, fan ovens were £60 the other day!
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrs maggot For This Useful Post:

theoriginalmadco (01-03-2018)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would love to use an oven, and did try to crack it, but the wraps we got wouldn't go tight enough to get a good print, and tried shrink wrap but it melted into a horrible mess.
    Wasted 100s of mugs trying to get it right
    The oven's now in our kitchen doing a grand job, having replaced the crap gas one that came with the house (which was condemned for leaking!)
    We did experiment with full wrap printing and the handles, and bases, and the whisky glasses.
    Also, had problems with gassing of the inks leaving a dirty coloured print on the exposed areas of the mugs, which led to even more taping/wrapping to seal in the mugs, which took more time, and used a redicolous amount if tape per mug - when we costed out the additional labour and heat tape it just didn't work compared to 4 presses and one member of staff.
    I loved that we could get 24 mugs in the oven at a time, and would love to again if we could have solved the problems

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Only superior in age

I'm busy trying to get my head around screen printing . Its true my superior put me onto the oven and its definitely my preferred way of doing mugs, no more manically trying to operate 5 presses for me.

Mug looks really good by the way Simon, I still need to get some of that stuff and have a play.

cheers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look great.

Are you using the vacuum wraps from Best Subs. I've been looking at those and wondering whether I should spend the money on a vacuum oven.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nice work SG. I'm a tinkerer myself so have a lot of respect for what you've achieved here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to webtrekker For This Useful Post:

socialgiraffe (01-03-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Only superior in age

I'm busy trying to get my head around screen printing . Its true my superior put me onto the oven and its definitely my preferred way of doing mugs, no more manically trying to operate 5 presses for me.

Mug looks really good by the way Simon, I still need to get some of that stuff and have a play.

cheers
    Wow! Everybody we have a royal visitor us honouring us with his presence! Haha, nice of you to find the time to pop in and say hi to us mere mortals bud ;-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, you must. I have seen some of your work and know that you are a "high end" printer, this stuff really plays into your customers.

Would love to use an oven, and did try to crack it, but the wraps we got wouldn't go tight enough to get a good print, and tried shrink wrap but it melted into a horrible mess.
    A few comments to be made, firstly regarding wraps, if I remember correctly you manufacture your own mugs. If this is the case what diameter are they? Pretty much any new mug wrap can hold a print in place for "standard" mugs so if the wrap is not holding the paper securely then I can only presume your mugs are considerably less in diameter.

The blue hue you talk of is very easily solved if you follow these steps.

For guidance lets assume the mug I am using is 92mm deep and has a circumference of 243mm MINUS the handle.

Print your image on a piece of sub paper that measures 105mm high and 240mm wide.
    If you require full top to bottom bleed then make the printed height 94mm MAX (no more than 1mm bleed top and bottom).
    In terms of width I normally print to 220mm wide.
    It is also important that the paper extends beyond the wrap hence 240mm wide paper.

Wrap and print according to your normal settings. I recommend about 8 minutes or even 9 in this really cold snap. 24 mugs is 16-18 minutes for me in my oven.

The above I have found works the best for me in terms of no "blue hue" or gassing extending to the non print areas. If I put too much bleed or stop the paper short of the wrap I will get the blue hue.

I note you have tried the Thermoshrink film but it melted. This means your oven is too hot. Using the proper Thermoshrinkable film will not melt at the right temperature, but a few degrees higher and it will. You may want to bring the temp of the oven down a few degrees and give it another try. No need to waste hundreds of mugs until you get 1 printing perfectly.

Are you using the vacuum wraps from Best Subs. I've been looking at those and wondering whether I should spend the money on a vacuum oven.
    No, I wouldn't use that as it means 1 mug every 8 minutes which in my humble opinion is not financially viable (I already have a vacuum oven and still will not use it for this). I used a thermoshrinkable film to hold the wrap in place.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    no, not thermoshrinkable film - tried palletwrap :-) lol
    will look it up
    Bought in 100 of the green silicone wraps from China, but have since flogged them off on Ebay, they didn't hold the transfer tight enough all the way around the mug, so there were blurry/faded/white patches on some of the mugs.
    We do do full bleed top to bottom, so probably have too much bleed to gass out.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no, not thermoshrinkable film - tried palletwrap :-) lol
    Yep, I can see how that would make a horrible mess :-)

they didn't hold the transfer tight enough all the way around the mug, so there were blurry/faded/white patches on some of the mugs.
    What is the diameter of your mugs? The wraps I get (from ebay) hold a LW mug perfectly.

We do do full bleed top to bottom, so probably have too much bleed to gass out.

I do full bleed mugs as well, you just need to reduce the amount of bleed you have. I only have 1mm top and bottom now which reduces the ink gassing to a minimum.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...