Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Sg400 power question
    By Dee_heelshirts in forum Printers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2018, 05:14 PM
  2. Sawgrass SG400 & MAC El Capitan
    By Bob63 in forum Printers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-08-2016, 11:24 AM
  3. For Sale: Sawgrass SG400 Printer with ink.
    By msub in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-2016, 07:16 PM
  4. Sawgrass SG400 Printing Problems.
    By gerrard05 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 02:33 PM
  5. Sawgrass SG400 printing squint
    By Maggie in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sawgrass sg400 power on cleaning using a lot of ink

Hi guys, hoping to get a bit of advice. We're using an sg400 with Sawgrass inks to produce small runs, mainly mugs. Our machine can go a couple of weeks between jobs. When powering on, it often takes about 10-15mins to clean and (according to the ink level indicator) seems to be using a lot of ink to clean. A few times the ink indicator has been low, and the clean uses all the remaining ink.

Is there any way to stop auto cleaning and / or anything we can do to reduce the amount of cleaning needed or ink used in this process?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon Print View Post
    Hi guys, hoping to get a bit of advice. We're using an sg400 with Sawgrass inks to produce small runs, mainly mugs. Our machine can go a couple of weeks between jobs. When powering on, it often takes about 10-15mins to clean and (according to the ink level indicator) seems to be using a lot of ink to clean. A few times the ink indicator has been low, and the clean uses all the remaining ink.

Is there any way to stop auto cleaning and / or anything we can do to reduce the amount of cleaning needed or ink used in this process?
    The auto clean routine that runs when the printer is first turned on after being turned off for a long period of time is part of the printers EEPROM and it is designed to ensure the printer head is ready to print following prolonged periods of not being used.

You will actually be better off (ink and time-wise) leaving the printer turned on and sending a print job to it every 3 days. Even a nozzle check or a small full colour document (6x4 size) will keep the printing head clean, keep the inks flowing and prevent the head drying out.

Being in regular use will mean the printer does not go through its auto clean process, the ink used to produce some prints will be far less than the ink used during the clean or maintenance process.

As a seller of sublimation inks we have around 6 printers on test at any given time, all of them are never turned off and a nozzle check or test print sent to them every 3-4 days to keep them in check. We used very little ink and get no issues with head blockages.

Alex
    Ink Express ltd. Unit 20 Fallings Park Industrial Estate, Park Lane, Wolverhampton. WV10 9QB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 01902 307111 |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InkExpress For This Useful Post:

Justin (12-03-2018), Saxon Print (12-03-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alex, this makes sense, we'll try this. thanks again for the quick / comprehensive reply, really helpful

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon Print View Post
    Thanks Alex, this makes sense, we'll try this. thanks again for the quick / comprehensive reply, really helpful
    My pleasure, you would think printing often would use more ink but in reality its quite the opposite. Use the printer regularly and leave it turned on as often as possible and you will in fact use less ink by not having to go through the inbuilt maintenance cleans.

Happy printing!

Alex
    Ink Express ltd. Unit 20 Fallings Park Industrial Estate, Park Lane, Wolverhampton. WV10 9QB

| 01902 307111 |

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Had the same problem with sawgrass a couple of years ago - making mug printing a no no - changed to a ink express epson wf- 2630 and there inks ... results are excellent still running like new.. now making a good profit from my mugs... hope this helps...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I took delivery of my printer last week and would prefer to leave it switched on as you mention, however after 6 hours or so the blue light goes out my itself and the printer powers off��. Is this right? Each time I go to print virtuoso says my printer needs to be on so I end up having to press the on button but that then causes the printer to run the maintenance cycle. My coloured inks are at 67% and I’ve only printed 36 mugs most using black ink.

I assumed the the blue light would stay on and indeed the printer as long as I didn’t switch it off. I’m so confused any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tracy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Ricoh SG3110DN and Sawgrass SG400 are near identical machines, apart from a few 'tweaks' Sawgrass have made to 'improve' the product.

Maybe one of the 'tweaks' was to make it drain the inks faster. ;-)

My two Ricoh SG3110DN's certainly don't act like that, and the blue light is on 24/7.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m wondering if it’s just my printer that’s doing this. I’m going to contact sawgrass to see what they say

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by its a new season View Post
    I’m wondering if it’s just my printer that’s doing this. I’m going to contact sawgrass to see what they say
    20% of your ink has been sent into the lines, will happen on your first set of carts so don't worry.

Maintenance check on the SG400 shouldn't take up much ink, if any. You'll lose a very small amount on a head clean and 20% on a flush.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to technick For This Useful Post:

its a new season (07-05-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: I’m going to contact sawgrass to see what they say

Good luck with that - worst customer service i had ever know..

My advise would be to sell asap- you will wast hours on the phone with them with no good results - fact is they use far to much ink to make them profitable...