Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Etsy Shop Suspended!
    By Justin in forum Websites/OSCommerce/OpenCart etc.
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 16-09-2021, 03:46 PM
  2. Etsy Store
    By Mikejohno1 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 21-08-2017, 09:25 PM
  3. Etsy Folksy NOTHS
    By GoonerGary in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2014, 09:18 PM
  4. Etsy the new Ebay ?
    By GoldRapt in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  5. What's Selling Just Now?
    By Stitch Up in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etsy selling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etsy selling

Hi Folks,

Just a quickie, does anybody here sell on ETSY, if you do let me know your thoughts on it.

I currently sell on there and it's hit and miss this year, anybody else noticed it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have thought about selling on there, but have been told it is a lot of hard work for little return!

James

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi James, it can be mate, once you get a shop up and running it can go ok but they are always changing the search algorithms which is a pain in the rear.
    Ive been on there 2.5 years, it's helped pay a few bills, this year i've made 10 sales in 3 months, i've never been a huge seller on there but it helps, this year has been a shocker!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell on there and it was going OK (not brilliant but ticked over) until August last year. They must have changed their algorithms or been testing something because for no reason sales fell off a cliff, especially overseas sales (it was even commented on by one of the staff in the post office that I was not sending much to the states any more!). Even with using promoted listings it still hasn't picked up to last years levels. It doesn't help that they never tell you what they have changed etc. But I suppose it could change to being OK again so I just leave stuff on there.
    James - if you already have product images etc it doesn't take long to test the water.

Neil.
    Science meets Art - microscope photographs revealing the beauty of the world around us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    We have an Etsy shop which does quite well but takes a good while to get going.

Interestingly enough we also noticed a drop last August....uhm

The one thing to remember about Etsy, you never own your shop. It's described as renting space on their land and they can kick you off for whatever reason they want with no reason. They suspended my account last year and I had to work very hard to get it back online, jumping through a lot of hoops. It turns out we were associated with someone else account (by mistake) and when they got suspended we were caught in the cross fire. You never get an apology or full explanation, you're just expected to be grateful.

Investing more time in your own site is always preferable.

All of this said, when Etsy leave you alone it's a great platform to sell on, fees are low (Approx. 5% compared to NOTHS at 25%)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Both, thanks for the replies!! Appreciated

I've been on there 2 years and I feel I'm constantly having to change tags, descriptions etc etc and if you have a few hundred items it's a pain to change out every few months to get noticed on there.
    It seems to come in spurts but fees are low, sales were more on ebay to be fair but the fees were higher than on ETSY, ETSY fees are a good thing and worth it.
    This year i've found that sales, views and favs have taken a major nose dive by at least 50% and thats with me adding more items so I don't know whats going on there!
    Up until Xmas last year I was doing ok, made a few quid etc but as soon as the clock struck 2018 I have flatlined but to be fair I'm now doing more mugs than t shirts but the name of my shop is geared towards t shirts so maybe thats the issue and have now requested a name change to make the shop more universal to see if it helps, we shall see.

Hows have your sales been Justin, seen a 50% drop since this time last year or are you steady as she goes....I seen your post in here about what happened, that sounded like a major kick in the gonads!!

I also have my own site which I'm currently rebuilding but it's getting it noticed without spending which is hard....I should invest more in social media promoting lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me ETSY has not been too successful but I don't have a lot of listings on it at the moment. There are some good Youtube videos about ETSY selling with warnings you're not likely to be able to give up your day job if you rely on it.

I think the average turnover for an ETSY store was worked out at something like £1,500 a year but obviously there are a few earning a lot more and a lot earning a lot less.

That said, with the nose dive in amazon sales this month ETSY is looking quite lucrative :) But generally I sell more on Zazzle than I do on ETSY each month. I like Zazzle because I just upload my designs and set a 15 - 20% royalty and leave it. Zazzle does all the US sales for me without me having to do anything :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more i put on there the less I get lol, I've got nearly 100 which isn't a lot but more than some and the sales arent great so I've applied for a name change, gonna get back on ebay soon to although fees are a kick in the teeth.

As far as I'm aware, new shops are getting a priority boost when they first start on there which may account for the downturn but hopefully it wont last forever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Etsy has regional search results, so UK sellers will be given a boost in search when a British customer looks for your item. The only thing, is that British people haven't heard of Etsy, so your access to the big US market is restricted. Etsy do have their favourite shops, you can tell by the feedback received that they are doing great, but that's the US shops. On the forums, you will soon learn that the big shops will eventually have the tap turned off leaving you scratching your head, changing titles, tags and setting up promoted listings.

You will find that only your promoted listings will get the sales, but if 300 people click your ad and only 10 of those people actually buy the product, you haven't earned any money. This is happens when Etsy employ ex ebay bosses to run your company. For me, I'm definitely devoting my time elsewhere before I sink!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, third party marketplaces have their place but it's not something you want t concentrate on or invest a lot of money in.

Your own website is the way to go, it's the only way to build loyalty, repeat business and maximise profits.

I allow for 20% marketing budget for social advertising based the cost of the product because I know a reasonable proportion of customers will return at a later date and provide sales with no advertising costs.

Some have said that 20% is high but compare it with other platforms. Amazon which used to provide me with the bulk of my sales charge 12% commission on product and 15% commission on postage. To get decent sales you need to use sponsored ads which tend to add on another 8% costs to a sale. So I could easily be spending 20% - 25% in fees to a sale on Amazon with little chance of repeat business and if I did get some then I'd be paying commissions on that repeat business.

A 20% cost on first sale I think is reasonable and gives me a reasonable budget to work with. I'd never spend money of advertising my products at a third party marketplace. Etsy takes the mickey in this. I will spend on their promoted listings but I'm not going to spend money on advertising Etsy at Goggle or Facebook. I advertise my web site on google and facebook.