Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Pet Tags - Problem with edges chipping/wearing within 1-2 days
    By tjt in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-04-2017, 07:49 PM
  2. Chromaluxe Panels
    By socialgiraffe in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14-02-2014, 08:57 AM
  3. Chromaluxe and packing
    By viccar in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-03-2013, 11:09 PM
  4. Chipping Issues - small id tags
    By SrPerro in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2012, 09:13 AM
  5. Chromaluxe panels
    By fredster in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Chromaluxe chipping

I'm working with some large Chromaluxe panels but having some issues. I can't peel off the protective layer without it taking away some of the coating on the corners.

Luckily, I can use a paint marker to spot the print, but is anyone else having these issues?

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Chromalue quality has gone down over the years- we can't use it anymore due to this - having the pring peeling off is not pleasing to customers, who then think we've just printed a sticker and stuck it on.

I was talking to a production consultant and he thought it was due to banning of Chromate which is a chemical used in the bonding process, or something like that - or a chromate type was banned, but this has caused lots of companies to drop lots of other chromates too, leading to this problem where the polymer layer just doesn't stick like it used to.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's another one of my main art materials banned.

So have you found a suitable alternative? These panels are expensive test purchases!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Themagictouch have a new aluminium which they claim has a minimum 5 year outdoor life
    Unlike the Choromoluxe and the thinner cheaper versions which are liquid coated this one is double powder coated that doesn't have the chipping problems.
    I think it's 1.2mm thick but only comes in white.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've a feeling someone tried the M.T. aluminium, but it was poor quality? I'll need to find the thread.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that may be the Wunderboard which is similar to Chromoluxe, the new one is Duraluxe, which is powder coated rather than liquid coated.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    I'm working with some large Chromaluxe panels but having some issues. I can't peel off the protective layer without it taking away some of the coating on the corners.

Luckily, I can use a paint marker to spot the print, but is anyone else having these issues?
    Hi Gary

Try warming the panel slightly before taking the protective film off, a bit of heat frees up the adhesive making it very easy to peel. I tend to leave a panel on the heat press bed away from the element before peeling.

Hope this helps.

Ricky
    Xpres

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    We tried Wunderboard and it was awful quality. SoleJuice & MagicTouch have options for this as well.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky@Xpres View Post
    Hi Gary

Try warming the panel slightly before taking the protective film off, a bit of heat frees up the adhesive....s
    My normal method is melting the film off at the corner for a couple of seconds with direct heat. I'll try the whole panel with indirect heat. I try to avoid using fingernails to pick at it, as this is just asking for trouble.

But even at the cold parts of the metal, the adhesive should not be taking off the coating. It renders the whole panel useless. I hope Chromaluxe are aware of this?

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    My normal method is melting the film off at the corner for a couple of seconds with direct heat. I'll try the whole panel with indirect heat. I try to avoid using fingernails to pick at it, as this is just asking for trouble.

But even at the cold parts of the metal, the adhesive should not be taking off the coating. It renders the whole panel useless. I hope Chromaluxe are aware of this?
    Hi Gary

This is the first I have heard about the adhesive from the protective film taking the coating off. I normally warm the panel just to make it easier to peel. Did you purchase the panels from us ? If so have you raised a ticket with our tech guys so we can raise it with ChromaLuxe ?

If not i would recommend sending some pictures of the damage to you supplier so they can get feedback from ChromaLuxe.

ChromaLuxe do pride themselves on the quality of the photo panels and coating and are very approachable. Have you had a chance to look at the Start to Sublimate website that they have launched ? Once logged in you can email ChromaLuxe support direct.

Ricky
    Xpres