Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. GDPR 25th May 2018 What are you doing about it?
    By logobear in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 24-05-2018, 04:39 PM
  2. 'Whois' database killed by GDPR?...
    By webtrekker in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-04-2018, 08:46 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GDPR and Whatsapp.

The use of Whatsapp and the new GDPR regulations.
    My girlfriend works as a project manager and quality controller in medical research. As Im sure you know, this work comes heavily regulated and is especially affected by the new data protection laws. Its part of her job to make sure the data in her business is conforming to the new laws.

Last night I was sitting on our sofa and sending messages via Whatsapp to my customers telling them that their work is ready and can be picked up when they have the time. She asked me about the info I give my customers about the data protection laws when using WA. It seems that some bigger companies are stopping the use of Whatsapp and Messanger as its part of the Facebook setup and basically cannot be trusted. ( even though they say it can be).
    Whatsapp for me is a very valuable tool. I receive messages daily, usually with a photo of the logo, asking for prices etc. I return the message instantly and often with a photo of my computer screen with a mock up of the design. Same thing with an embroidery sample. I run the design on a piece of cloth, photograph it and send it for approval. I usually get the thumbs up within 5 mins and get on with the work.
    Apparently the problem is that WA uses our Mobil numbers and these are stored on our Mobil's. The numbers also go through the WA system so they can be syphoned off and used by them as valuable data and this is where the problem is.

If I stopped using Whatsapp it will greatly hinder my work.

What have you done with WA usage or am I being a little too worried about the new laws?

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly, you may be aware, but the ICO (UK Governing body) have said they will not prosecute anyone in the first year, but will act more as an advisory service. So don't panic, plenty of time still :-)

I can not offer any perfect response except that Paypal has continued to use Facebook Messenger to send receipts and have not made any contact with me regarding the use etc.

Not sure if that helps or not mate :-)
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WE dont get a years grace over here. We had two years to sort it out and should have done so by now. Still, firms are asking themselves what is the right thing to do as the laws can be interpreted in so many different ways.
    But, Ive been told, when the communication is Business to Business then it doesn't matter. Its only when messages are sent to Private customers that the Data Protection info has to be shown.