Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. printable vinyl
    By Paul in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-03-2016, 06:26 PM
  2. printable sign vinyl
    By smitch6 in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-04-2012, 07:42 PM
  3. Images wanted on printable vinyl
    By Bob700 in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-09-2011, 01:42 AM
  4. Vinyl for Vehicles .....
    By AdamB in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 11:20 AM
  5. Printable vinyl - feel like a pillock!
    By busybusybee in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Printable vinyl (Latex) - Vehicles

I have printable vinyl in stock that we use for for stickers etc. but I'm looking at getting something better for vehicle graphics.

Couple of jobs we have in will be somewhat simple large rectangle stickers, I'm thinking of using an air escape material, probably from Grafityp.

Intention was to laminate as we get very high UV levels up here so should I stick to a normal (non air escape) media? Any recommendations for laminate?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The important thing is to use a laminate which matches the vinyl - i.e. polymeric laminate on polymeric vinyl. Application of air escape vinyl isn't affected by whether or not it is laminated although the extra thickness of any vinyl makes application easier when laminated.

Don't be tempted to use cheap vinyl to save a few pennies. Ironically while sublimation people are trying to get into vinyl due to cut throat competition exactly the opposite is also happening for exactly the same reasons.

Simply put, too many people scrabbling for work, each thinking that undercutting on price will make them successful and failing to realise that things are never as simple as they expect. Public perception is that vinyl is just "stickers" which magically appear at the press of a button and they expect everything for nothing.

Years of bitter experience speaking

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StellaD For This Useful Post:

Justin (04-09-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should also have said I would recommend Metamark for materials and their prices, when dealing direct, are quite negotiable with decent samples for free.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaD View Post
    Should also have said I would recommend Metamark for materials and their prices, when dealing direct, are quite negotiable with decent samples for free.
    Yes, someone has recommended them to me so I'll take a look, many thanks :-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MD5 air escape is not much more than non-air escape when discounted and ids good for vehicles.

Don't be tempted to use the cheaper MD3 or to not laminate on vehicle work. It will come back to bite you.

Plenty of people try and sell you clear vinyl as laminate but the Metamark laminate actually has UV inhibitor which ordinary clear does not. Despite being sold as a laminate though it can also be printed on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    That's great, thank you for your advice. I'll look at MD5 now. I'm just finding it a minefield and want to produce using the better end of the medias not cheaper, like you say it comes back to bite you!

I only have a cold laminator right now so hoping this will be ok? It's just a 610mm width so maybe I'll need to go wider but really don't have the money or space for a wider heated one right now :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only use cold but 610 is a bit narrow tbh. Think you might benefit from a wider laminator.

Print vinyls are generally 760 mm wide upward.

Metamark will log your rolls to whatever width you want at no cost. They have just widened their colour range on M7 cut vinyls and we print on yellow quite often for safety signs etc which does come in 610. You may be able to print on white 610 M7 but we have never tried as always have MD5 here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StellaD For This Useful Post:

Justin (05-09-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Yes they mentioned they'd cut the rolls, hadn't realised they didn't charge for that, other suppliers are charging £15 a cut.

They'#re sending up samples of MD5 and MD5A along with a few other bits and bobs. We discussed the possibility of going to MD3/MP100 for smaller sticker type work but I'm keen to stick with MD5A for vehicles.

Yes I think I'll have to consider a wider laminator. Mine is just a Chinese eBay type machine but it's done the job very well so far. I see a wider version of the same for a reasonable price but will also look at second hand machines for a branded version.

Interesting that you print on the yellow, I'd not thought of that. What printer do you have? Is there a preference for glossy/matt finish on safety signs? I just did a few small A4 sized and matt laminated as I felt they needed not to reflect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We print solid red and black onto yellow without problems. Have used Metamark, Spandex Image Perfect and Oracal 651 without problems. Always on gloss but see no reason why matt would not work.

We have also printed on white reflective which works quite well. I would suggest laminating everything and upselling as unlaminated will degrade on exposure to the weather/cleaning, etc.

Our main printer is a Roland XJ640 1600mm and we cut on a Graphtec 1600 cutter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StellaD For This Useful Post:

Justin (05-09-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Metamark and they do do great deals if you get into the phone with them. I deal with a chap called Joe, not sure of his surname, but try him first and mention my name. Hopefully we will both get something from it.
    Stella do you think you could print onto any M7 vinyl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.