Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Foamex & Acrylic Supplier required
    By Justin in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31-07-2018, 07:11 PM
  2. Foamex printing
    By GoldRapt in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-10-2013, 01:37 PM
  3. Foamex
    By RaDecal Graphics in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Foamboard......Foamex.......ACP?

Recently started producing signs. Bought some cheap foam-board to see how we go. It's done the job ok but I'm interested in finding better materials. As always postage to us in Shetland is a killer so we get the right suppliers and stick with them trying not to buy from loads of different places!

I appreciate Foamex would be slightly better, Aluminium panels better still. I've seen pre-cut ACP that i think we'll take a look at but ideally we need to be cutting to size and this is slightly more complicated.

Anyone recommend any particular materials/suppliers? We've used Lion who were really good but limited on options.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only use foam board for indoor use. Outside variations in temperature will cause the board to contract or expand and it will warp. To minimise this make the fixing holes slightly larger to allow the board to move on the fixing (think railway track fishplates)

ACP - aluminium composite panel - in the news a lot since the Grenfell fire!

Basically a skin thin coating of aluminium each side of a 3mm thick composite material. It all looks pretty much the same but actually comes in different qualities - the best of these are branded names such as Durabond and have options of normal or fire resistant. That may be important depending on where they are going. There is also a cheaper version which most sign makers use which is made in China and is generally referred to as hoarding panel.

The hoarding tends to be coated on one side only whereas the branded ones are coated on both sides. Difficult to tell them apart though once the printed protective wrapping is peeled away.

They can be cut to size by the suppliers which might help your delivery charges but otherwise you can cut straight edges by scoring with a stanley knife and snapping! It's what we do rather than drive to our supplier for small orders although we tend to keep pre-cut sizes of common sizes and @persuade@ the customer around these.

We use Amari but I see their nearest depot to you is Glasgow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for your advice :-) Glasgow is actually good as we can use a transport company who have a depot in Coatbridge so forwarding isn't too difficult.

I had thought foam board was ok for external use, shows how much I know eh!? Just looking on Amaris website for a few ideas.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foamex is dreadful for outdoor use. It warps in the sun, and the finish makes it almost impossible to keep clean.

Correx is good for short/medium term use. It is a firm favorite for builders boards/estate agents. MDP do a good range of popular sizes - the 32 x 24" is the maximum legal size you can use for residential housing sales in England ( not sure about Scotland). Good discounts on 100 pieces which will offset the shipping.

Alu composite (ACP) is the most veratile for longer term use. MDP do some popular smaller sizes, upto A2 at good prices. Unfortunately they won't ship 8'x4' sheets due to damage.
    There are two grades of ACP. The cheaper is known as hoarding panel. It has a thinner aluminium coating, and is only painted on one side. Outdoor life is shorter. Proper 'shopfit' quality has thicker aluminium skins and is painted on both sides - matt on one side and gloss on the other.
    Cutting is easier than you might think. Score one side with a craft knife and snap over the edge of a bench - look on youtube for examples.

Only mentioning MDP because their shipping is relatively cheap to the Shetlands. They also do a range of made to measure sign trays and acrylic panels that are as cheap as anyones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    So if I was looking for a few A4 sized signs is ACP my best option? I hate correx as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Just looking on MDP, I can see the Correx and Alu Comp Sheets but the only other material I can find is the smaller Alu Comp Panels but these have rounded corners?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Like the look of the DILITE in traffic yellow, would be useful for this sign job, just put black vinyl onto it. Emailed Amari for info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/catego...n_services.asp

Correx is not for everyone, but it does have its uses.

Acrylic can be good for out door use. TMT have a new range of outdoor sublimatable alu panels that might be of use.

There is a guy who trades on ebay as 'Plastic Source Ltd' who gets good deals on ACP and Foamex from Amari. He gets it delivewred on Amari's trucks at less than Amari charge direct. He won't ship to the Islands, but if you have an agent you use it could be cheaper than buying direct.

Also try Plastock https://www.plastock.co.uk/ . Don't Know if they will ship to Shetland but they have a good range and will cut whole sheets to size.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

Justin (06-09-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    There is a guy who trades on ebay as 'Plastic Source Ltd' who gets good deals on ACP and Foamex from Amari. He gets it delivewred on Amari's trucks at less than Amari charge direct.
    The thing is Amari do much, much better prices than their standard tariff. We don't pay anything like what that guy is charging so I imagine he is on a nice little earner!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaD View Post
    The thing is Amari do much, much better prices than their standard tariff. We don't pay anything like what that guy is charging so I imagine he is on a nice little earner!
    That is probably why I don't like using them. I haven't the time or inclination to use anyone who doesn't display the prices they charge me on their website. Thankfully my days of ordering on the phone and asking for the best price are long behind me.

Whenever I have used Plastic Source I have been sent the twin the double sided product, not the hoarding.