Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. WORDMARK.it lost functionality ?
    By logobear in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-01-2018, 07:55 PM
  2. Help this lost soul with printer issues please!
    By Mel in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
  3. Lost order :(
    By ADP in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-11-2012, 12:38 PM
  4. magnets lost them
    By jennywren in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
  5. I too have lost my virginity ! (But it took longer than 2 minutes ! )
    By sonywiz in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24-05-2012, 06:09 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what software? I'm lost

Ok so we now have a roland sp300i print and cut. They say use versaworks to load jobs, that's fine.
    I currently use photoshop but this doesnt work with versaworks so i have a trial of adobe illustrator, and Wow how to mess up my head in one easy go.
    Ive been suggested to try coreldraw.

So My question is Whats easier to use? Is coreldraw more like photoshop? I need to save things as an eps file now. For stickers and other vinyl cutting jobs.
    I cant even get the cutter to cut anything. its doing my head in.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    CorelDraw is a vector based drawing programme. If you're working with cut lines etc. personally I find this much easier on CDraw.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don’t want to cut outlines then you can print straight from photoshop to versaworks.
    If I’m printing car magnetics I just send the design to versaworks from the print option In photoshop.
    I can trim the excess away in versaworks to the size I need and just rip and print.
    if I need cut lines for a design then it’s illustrator it took a while to master but I ts pretty simple after a few goes.

If your trying to create cut lines search YouTube for how to add cut lines in illustrator there are tonnes of helpful videos out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The engineer who installed my Mimaki said that newer versions of versaworks now include the ability to apply a cut line in the RIP. Can you get hold of a new copy and carry on with your Photoshop?

The choice between Illustrator/Coreldraw often boils down to if you want to buy or rent the software.

I've just had to buy Coreldraw Standard, just to apply a cut line for the Mimaki. I can't be bothered to learn to use it fully after using other packages for years.
    At half the price of the full version, the standard version suits me, just. There is quite a lot of tools disabled for a £300 package(most annoyingly the contour tool), so if you are going to use this as your main design package, go for the full version.

It is hard to believe that companies like Roland and Mimaki are complacent enough to rely on 35 year old third party software packages. I wouldn't expect to buy a standalone vinyl cutter without the ability to apply a cut line to my artwork, but that appears to be the norm with expensive print and cut machines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pw66,
    Yes i have the new version of versaworks, it will put a box round your print. So great for square or rectangle stickers, but i wont cut lettering. I've now worked out the cut contour line so its ok, just need to practice. Tho it is long winded compaired to my old cutter.

I've just got Illustrator but its very different to photoshop and vinyl master. So will take me ages to get used to it.

I will just have to suck it up and allow longer for some jobs.

Thanks all for the replies
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Yes i have the new version of versaworks, it will put a box round your print.
    I have versaworks v6 and can confirm this is the only cut line it adds.
    It’s a shame you can’t do it in ps it would save so much time and hassle.

I have to switch between both ps and AI when I need to create a new job :(
    I don’t want to fork out for more software as ps and AI cost an arm and a leg as it is.