Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Novachrome Deep Impact 20" x 15" Heat press problem ..
    By Volusian in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 09:54 PM
  2. Black printing "faint" - coming out brown when pressed
    By Pea in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
  3. Sold George Knight DK20S Swing Heat Press 16" x 20" Size
    By Fidget242 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-04-2014, 01:52 PM
  4. "out of gamut" problem
    By scottmurray89 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genie III Mug press. Yes. That "black's not black" problem!

I've got a Genie III mug press (from Listawood: https://tinyurl.com/ydan4m5e) that was recommended to me by a friend, and that's used in conjunction with a Sawgrass SG400 and Virtuoso Print Manager (6.2.1777).

Manufacturer recommends (for 10oz Durham mugs) 165 idle, and 170 cook (for 45 seconds). Paper is TruPux Classic.

Using these setting I'm finding that my blacks are not very black, maybe about 90% black. I was advised to try increasing the cooking time in 5 second intervals, but gave up after the 6th wasted mug and +30 seconds! When my press is at 165 idle, if I put a mug into it, the temp drops (as expected) down to about 154 before going back up to the cook temperature.

Has anyone got a Genii III press, and if so, have you found a good setting for nice deep blacks? Any other advice for this newbie would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    These times and temps seem way off to me.

I don't have a press with an idle temperature, but when I place a cold mug into my press the temperature drops to around 155° C, then I wait until it rises to 180° C before starting my timer, which is set at 180 secs (3 minutes).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    These times and temps seem way off to me.

I don't have a press with an idle temperature, but when I place a cold mug into my press the temperature drops to around 155° C, then I wait until it rises to 180° C before starting my timer, which is set at 180 secs (3 minutes).
    Thanks for the reply. The times and temps work fine for most of my stuff, but if I have a large patch of black then that's when I notice a problem. The idle/cook temp and 45 sec cooking time is pretty standard for the Genie III.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get the Genie timer to work properly for me, so i let it warm to 170, put the mug in - temperature drops and set 2m30 timer. By the time it's got back up to 170 it's usually only about 15s off the 2m30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @MikeJB If you have large areas of solid colour it may not just be the times/temps that are the problem. It could also be shallow areas in your mugs that are causing reduced pressure between the mug and the press. Mug manufacture isn't an exact science and all mugs have some irregularities. Saying that, find a supplier of decent mugs (not ebay!) and stick with them. You can quickly test your mugs by holding a straight edge up to the mug and look for any slight hills or valleys that might cause you problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJB View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The times and temps work fine for most of my stuff, but if I have a large patch of black then that's when I notice a problem. The idle/cook temp and 45 sec cooking time is pretty standard for the Genie III.
    Large areas of solid colour require a longer time than some typed text. My times range from 180 degrees - 145 seconds to 170 seconds depending on the design.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 25-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    Large areas of solid colour require a longer time that some typed text. My times range from 180 degrees - 145 seconds to 170 seconds depending on the design.
    I'm assuming that the time you quote is after the press has reached 180 degrees and from the moment you pop the mug in?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's correct. I try to avoid presses with idle temperatures, so these times are based on straightforward 'start immediately' presses.

I do also own a Genie press which has the idle and starting temperature set at identical settings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bear in mind that different presses, ink, papers and mugs will give you different times. But try 170 degrees and between 120 - 180 seconds will get you started!