Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Novachrome Deep Impact 20" x 15" Heat press problem ..
    By Volusian in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 09:54 PM
  2. Black printing "faint" - coming out brown when pressed
    By Pea in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
  3. Sold George Knight DK20S Swing Heat Press 16" x 20" Size
    By Fidget242 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-04-2014, 01:52 PM
  4. "out of gamut" problem
    By scottmurray89 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the Genie III I have occasionally used I do the following:

170 Idle
    175 cooking

and because the blanket is well worn I am at 120 seconds.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    Bear in mind that different presses, ink, papers and mugs will give you different times. But try 170 degrees and between 120 - 180 seconds will get you started!
    After three tests, I finally landed on 180 deg. for 180 secs and everything looks fab!

Many thanks for your help, GoonerGary, and thank you to everyone else who took the time to respond as well. I appreciate it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeJB For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (25-10-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is a budget mug press suggestion these days?
    Printer owners / BMS out of stock.
    wanting to add a couple more ... or should i be thinking ovens? - how many clamps to get, - and where from?
    thanks
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    wanting to add a couple more ... or should i be thinking ovens? - how many clamps to get, - and where from?
    thanks
    Personally reading between the lines on your request LB I would get a halogen oven and about 8-12 clamps. Halogen ovens allow 4 mugs at a time are nice and small/economical and pretty cheap at £30.

The only oven I would recommend is the one I have which might be a bit too industrial and is more for bulk mug orders (I figured you are more ones and twos etc)

If you wanted to stay with a mug press then the Genie III is the only one I would recommend. Great unit, very quick, pretty cheap and has Listawood back up. I think It is also sold by a couple of other suppliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    thanks
    I've got a great Adkins mug press for sale in the Selling section. I could part with a second one if interested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    That's correct. I try to avoid presses with idle temperatures, so these times are based on straightforward 'start immediately' presses.

I do also own a Genie press which has the idle and starting temperature set at identical settings.
    I would think its the other way around, because if you start the timer as soon as you clamp in your mug you will have the problem that your time/temperature setting can harder be reproduced because some mugs are room temperature, some heat up quicker etc... So i would avoid to name a complete press time, i think it is better to start the timer once the mug reached the desired temperature in you press. I try to find such a mug press and i want to avoid mug presses that dont offer that feature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJB View Post
    After three tests, I finally landed on 180 deg. for 180 secs and everything looks fab!

Many thanks for your help, GoonerGary, and thank you to everyone else who took the time to respond as well. I appreciate it.
    is that 180 seconds after the mug reached 180 degree or 180 press time in complete?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I do now is turn on the mug press, then wait for the temperature to get to 180 degrees. I then put in the mug*. The temperature immediately starts to drop of course - usually for me down to about 155/160 - then I wait for it to get back up to 180. As soon as it hits 180 I start a 30 second timer. Once the timer goes off, I remover the mug remove the paper and dip it into lukewarm water.

*I almost always warm up the bottom 1/2 inch of the base of the mug before pressing as this is the area of the mug that stays the coolest.

Quote Originally Posted by Daninho View Post
    is that 180 seconds after the mug reached 180 degree or 180 press time in complete?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJB View Post
    What I do now is turn on the mug press, then wait for the temperature to get to 180 degrees. I then put in the mug*. The temperature immediately starts to drop of course - usually for me down to about 155/160 - then I wait for it to get back up to 180. As soon as it hits 180 I start a 30 second timer. Once the timer goes off, I remover the mug remove the paper and dip it into lukewarm water.

*I almost always warm up the bottom 1/2 inch of the base of the mug before pressing as this is the area of the mug that stays the coolest.
    Ah that was clearer, so your time is actually 180C - 30 seconds in terms of the MPR-3 AKA Genie 3 mug press.
    Print Equipment in germany sells the exact same press under the name MPR-3, they are the makers of sublisplash inks and they recommending times for their products. In case of MPR-3 + sublisplash it is 175 Celsius for 70 secs. So they go much longer than your time. 30 secs is one of the shortest times i can remember with this press.

So i think for other inks 180 C is a good temperature and 60-120 secs, as a noob i would say this depends on how large the print is and the colors. IF i buy the Genie 3 i will surely test your 30 secs as well ! I guess i will waste 10-15 mugs with different timings
    Last edited by Daninho; 11-02-2020 at 08:23 PM.