Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. My Intro
    By Diane in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM
  2. Hi all my intro
    By Fletcher in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
  3. intro
    By squashynose in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 01:09 PM
  4. Intro hi from Reg
    By Reg in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
  5. New Member Intro
    By John G in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-11-2009, 09:59 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member intro...

Morning all,

I've been registered on the forum for a while but this is my first post...

I thought I might as well share some of my experiences of sublimating mugs for the last couple of months...

I invested in a mug starter kit from Dyesub supplies back in August having been previously outsourcing my mug printing for a couple of years. I was just after a little more control on colours - and ultimately a bit more profit...

It's going pretty well - but as per many of the posts I've read on this forum (which was a great resource for me when setting up) there is a lot of trial and error involved.

I solely print my own artwork onto mugs - these are full colour illustrations created in Photoshop.
    I am using a Freesub dual mug press, Ricoh 3110 with sublisplash inks.

I initially used the Dyesub supplies mugs, then got a few boxes from another supplier. Not a great deal of difference although I'd say the other suppliers mugs have a more obvious taper to the top - which can be problematic when wrapping the mug - resulting in a bit of banding/fading at the bottom. I've just ordered my latest batch from Listawood on recommendation of the forum - so fingers crossed for a good result...

I have pressed for the recommended 180secs at 180 degrees - lately my press has been a bit erratic and the temp seems to have started suddenly jumping up 20 or 30 degrees - resulting in over cooked mugs. An intermittent fault seemingly... (hopefully)

My main issue when pressing is with blues - all other colours come out great - blacks are spot on, red is really vibrant and skin tones come out nicely, but when I have dark blue it comes out almost grey/brown and is incredibly frustrating and has led to a fair bit of wastage... Slight improvements have come from upgrading my OS on Mac to enable me to print directly from Photoshop CC - previously the ICC profile from Dye Sub supplies wouldn't work in CS4 - I then experimented with printing from a CMYK for artwork where the blue is prominent - and this seems to have improved its bit more, as has reducing the time, temperature and pressure.

Overall - i've found it an interesting and largely rewarding process - with some big chunks of frustration thrown in. But I'd just like to say thanks for all the input from this forum - its a great resource.

Sorry for the long post!

Dave
    Last edited by Justin; 15-11-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave - I too use the same mug press and A4 Ricoh printer using sublisplash inks and getting good consistent results. I too had colour issues initially but once I used the sublisplash setting in the drop down menu on my printer settings it's been great. I probably have an unorthodox way of printing when printing from the Ricoh - I use quark express on my old imac. Works great for me. Was actually up in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago buying a fantastic heat press i found in this forum - 8 hour round trip from Worcester but was well worth it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brant For This Useful Post:

davew1980 (19-11-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Welcome tot the forum Dave :-)

Justin
    DSF Admin
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

davew1980 (19-11-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response Brant, I think that's the most bemusing thing about the poor dark blues - that the rest of the colours are absolutely bang on - perfect. I have had a slight improvement upgrading to Photoshop CC having updated my OS previously my old version of PS just didn't work with the Subisplash ICC profile so I was printing from Preview -(I'm also using IMac). Also converting the troublesome artwork to CMYK has also helped, aswell as a slight decrease in pressure and pressing time. Also initial results with The Listawood mugs are promising.
    Glad you had a good trip up North - we're canny up here! ;)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to say that I get my mugs from MDP supplies - 10oz orca coated and work a treat with Freesub mug press

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brant For This Useful Post:

davew1980 (19-11-2018)