Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Black Friday Deals?
    By scotty44 in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-11-2015, 07:14 PM
  2. black Friday suppliers? :)
    By Paul in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-11-2014, 07:37 AM
  3. BLACK FRIDAY - templates 30% off!
    By Paul in forum Pauls Photo Mug Templates
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-11-2014, 07:12 PM
  4. Black friday freebie!
    By Paul in forum Pauls Photo Mug Templates
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM
  5. Black Friday Deals
    By WorthDoingRight in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Black Friday, Cyber Monday....Opinions?

Interested to know what folk think about the Black Friday sales? I sell through Etsy and they push it hard every year. I see more and more companies refusing to participate and other companies having 'non black Friday' sales! Lol.

One company I know sell expensive recycled items, great quality but very expensive. They posted on Facebook that they disagree with such sales as products should be priced 'fairly' in the first place. A valid point I thought but easy to say when your products retail for such a high price and are in great demand!

I'm on the fence right now. Obviously I see the benefits of sales and I do reduce products regularly but do we need to jump on this bandwagon yet again?

Always reminds me when I a teenager working for H. Samuel selling crap (Yes, if the MD can say it I can repeat it!) The shops were on sale 12 months of the year, we were constantly changing the banners, Xmas Sale, New Years Sale, Valentines.....you get the idea. I'm sorry to say it worked though.

I can't help but think it's a chance for companies to get rid of slow moving stock, not necessarily a bad thing. Just heard on the radio that most items in black Friday sales are no cheaper anyway, I guess you have to be careful.
    Last edited by Justin; 23-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work on the format of "If I was to reduce it now I am saying I was overcharging before"....so I don't do sales.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I spent a while looking through Amazon, they have a half price Samsung SSD, but when you compare it to Kingston and Crucial, it's the same price with minimal performance difference in real life. Deleted from my basket.

Lego set, £15 cheaper than Argos...who cares? Just saved £100 not buying anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I can understand that yes. Playing devils advocate though, can you not have a genuine sale and give customers a good deal? 2 for 1, 10% off everything...you just lose some of your profit?

I think this is a lot of companies thinking from what I read, products need to be fairly priced in the first place.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking with my retailers hat on... I found that it has destroyed the Christmas season for the small and independant retailer.

Christmas sales used to build steadily from the day after Guy Fawkes up until Christmas Eve. The last Saturday up until Xmas Eve were a real feeding frenzy.

Now since Walmart/Amazon introduced Black Friday the (non food) money has mostly been spent by early December and the rest of the month is just a plod. The biggest insult is that Walmart ( Asda) who were one of the culprits of bringing BF to the UK have given up on it.

The timing is dreadfull. The big retailers with the biggest marketing budget use BF to suck everyones bank and credit cards dry at the end of November, and Cyber Mopnday is timed to do the same to the December pay packet.

British retail being what it is - driven by accountants and city investors looking at sales figures not profit - the whole thing has taken on a life of its own and extended into a two week death march to the detriment of the rest of the Xmas season.

It is simplistic to assume that prices are any better. As with all other promotions the headline grabing discounts are simply put onto the pile of TV's etc that have been made down to a price and bought in just to be discounted. The rest of the stock is only reduced to a level that the retailer can sustain.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

Earl Smith (23-11-2018), raydavies (23-11-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    Just saved £100 not buying anything.
    Love it! Can't fault you there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

Paul (23-11-2018)

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you were inclined to do some sort of sale then BF would be a great one to do in this industry as it is close to Christmas.

However, if you do a sale, then just do one a year and make it clear that you only do the one sale. Don't be like DFS which, as we know, permanently has a sale.

If you pushed it right it could be a good thing for your business if it is D2C

Personally I can not stand BF and the crap associated with it, but that is a personal opinion, if I were D2C it might be the one I would consider jumping on the bandwagon for. It would be the ONLY one for a year and I would use it to test new products that I had not sold before.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    'Unbeatable Black Friday Sale! Get a TOTALLY FREE, sub-standard, chipped, speckled, dented, or mis-printed mug with every order! Don't miss out on this unique opportunity!'

(That's one way to get rid of all your scrap!).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    ...and they'd still complain that it wasn't shipped quickly enough!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (23-11-2018)

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...and they'd still complain that it wasn't shipped quickly enough!
    Speaking of which.... Those prints arrived thanks. I will not complain about the fact that they took two days to get here which is an outrageous time to wait for a favour, next time please have them delivered two days before I ask for them....
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...