Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-09-2018, 01:14 PM
  2. Aluminium panels
    By Tokyad in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-07-2017, 11:11 PM
  3. Applying graphics onto 2D wood figures (help needed)
    By Alburt in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18-05-2017, 03:46 PM
  4. Ali panels
    By Mugshots in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 01:59 PM
  5. applying vinyl with an iron?
    By AdamB in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Last Post: 19-10-2010, 05:14 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Applying vinyl to Alu Panels

I'm supplying a handful of A4 panels, I bought the Alu panels in traffic yellow so I can just apply black vinyl. Vinyl is going on fine but there are small areas, I guess they're bubbles where it isn't in contact with the board. it's only very small areas and can only really be seen at an angle but I'd expect this to be completely flat to the board?

I've ensured the surface is clean and now tried 2 types of vinyl just in case.

Is this to be expected or a I missing something?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use application fluid when applying. A fine mist onto the back of the graphic or the sign board before laying it down with the squeegee. Any bubbles can then be worked out before the fluid dries back.

You can use water with a tiny amount of washing up liquid if you are out of fluid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

Justin (19-09-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All down to application technique really.

Make sure your squeegee has a flat edge (not worn) and hold at an angle of around 30 degrees. Apply firm pressure before the squeegee reaches the vinyl and keep the pressure on until you have exited the other side.

Aside from application fluid you can make tiny holes in the edge of bubbles with a pin and ease out the air with your fingernail. Otherwise, some makes of CAD cut vinyl are now available with air release adhesive which makes large panels a breeze. If they are not air bubbles they might be tiny fragments of dust which are practically invisible, until the vinyl makes them stand out like the proverbial sore thumb. Use a grit rag available from motor factors and used by paint sprayers to remove them. Should only be pennies - if you have a local body shop see if you can scrounge one to try or PM me an address to post a couple.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StellaD For This Useful Post:

Justin (19-09-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old post, But just to help anyone else out there, I fit vinyl to trucks and trailers and do get bubbles, inevitable I find unless you are applying to a pristine surface, often I have to remove old vinyl and can clean them up reasonably well - but I regard the odd bubble as normal - back to the post, when applying to small areas a4, a3, A2 etc - invested 40 quid in a cold roll laminator - perfect every time, tighten down as much as pos, then tighten a bit more, I get no bubbles and I get consistent results, If I could get a 40ft trailer through it I'd be a happy bunny.
    Hope this helps someone ,-)