Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Looking for foam or other solution to prevent transfer paper lines
    By Resinman in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-07-2017, 07:37 AM
  2. FOAM KIT FOR T SHIRTS - makes creases vanish!
    By Bruno in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 12:41 AM
  3. Vapor Foam Kit - Or Just The Foam
    By customprints in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-08-2015, 11:40 AM
  4. Heat resistant foam
    By Quinsfan in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-07-2015, 11:35 AM
  5. Supplier of Vapor Foam?
    By twinsgran in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-04-2015, 12:45 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printing on EVA foam

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum (and printing) so please excuse any incorrect terminology!

I'm trying to print a design onto EVA foam interlocking mats (not polyester coated - straight onto the foam). I've been told its not possible for several reasons, the image bluring, print rubbing off, bowing under the heat but I found a supplier willing to give it a try on an A4 sized sample. Couple of photos attached. I'm very pleased with the results, it seems very durable but has slightly bowed.

Does anyone know how it might be possible to stop it from bowing? It was heated at 180 for 40 seconds. Its only very slight so you might not read it on a larger tile.

Also I'm struggling to find anyone in this country to print these mats. Any ideas for where I could get these printed?

Thanks for your help

Sarah

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you wanted to do these "properly" then find a flatbed UV printer company.

UV print does not use heat so will be able to print on to that substrate no problem. The supplier will need to know the thickness of the tiles so they can advise you on if they can lift the print head that high, but there are plenty of printers on the market that can do this.

Failing that, then I think you would need to just get a bundle of tiles and keep experimenting with the time and temp. You could possibly come down 10 degrees without too much detriment to the print, but then you might consider increasing the time by 5 degrees but reducing the time by 10-15 seconds. It really will something that is very much reliant on outside factors so any settings will only be relevant to the company printing them.

If all else fails, then you need to find a printer that is using low temperature dye sublimation ink. Not many of them around but they should be able to do this as well.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skw952 View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum (and printing) so please excuse any incorrect terminology!

I'm trying to print a design onto EVA foam interlocking mats (not polyester coated - straight onto the foam). I've been told its not possible for several reasons, the image bluring, print rubbing off, bowing under the heat but I found a supplier willing to give it a try on an A4 sized sample. Couple of photos attached. I'm very pleased with the results, it seems very durable but has slightly bowed.

Does anyone know how it might be possible to stop it from bowing? It was heated at 180 for 40 seconds. Its only very slight so you might not read it on a larger tile.

Also I'm struggling to find anyone in this country to print these mats. Any ideas for where I could get these printed?

Thanks for your help

Sarah
    We have a Mimaki UV printer but the max printable size is A3 .If you send us a sample we can try to print it for you .Thanks Rav

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    These are much the same as EVA flip flops that sub at 190 °C for 70 secs (recommended settings). Maybe the 'bowed' effect could be eliminated by placing a heavy item over the top until they had fully cooled.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Thanks for your replies. It sounds like I need to do some experimenting if I go with dye sub. I can't find anyone in the UK who's willing to print these though - if there's anyone out there who could do this pls get in touch with me.

Thanks socialgiraffe - helpful re low temperature dye sub ink. Does UV printing give a matt effect or does it have a sheen? I was told UV printing wasnt possible but if you're willing to give it a go that'd be great. Can you PM me your details please?

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Skw

I do not have UV printer anymore (sold it off when I split from my ex business partner scum :-))

But drop RAVISTEAM a message as it might be he can help. You need a FLAT BED UV printer to do it.

As far as what effect it gives, I have no idea as I am not in the UV game anymore.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...