Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Scanner/Monitor calibration
    By wayupnorth in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2017, 04:38 PM
  2. Artwork for printing
    By yasminfrench in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-09-2013, 06:40 PM
  3. LG Scanner Mouse
    By Ian M in forum Press Releases/Announcements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-07-2012, 02:14 PM
  4. Artwork
    By mfarmt85 in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM
  5. For Sale Slide scanner
    By Mattie in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Scanner for artwork

I've always scanned customers artwork on a small A4 scanner. it's a decent enough machine and Photoshop generally does a very good job of stitching together.

I'm considering a larger option that would make the process easier.

If anyone has any experience or opinions I'd appreciate it. Not looking to go crazy but as this market grows i can hopefully justify something better.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    graphtec do some wide format scanners but they are serious money.
    https://www.graphtecgb.co.uk/product/csx550-09-e/

Canon do a range of 'multifunction printers' that include a wide format scanner. Work out cheaper and they have the advantage of coming with a reasonable quality wide format graphics printer, which could add another revenue stream. Still a lot of money.
    https://www.graphicdesignsupplies.co...rint-copy.html

The Epson 7710/15/20 range comes with an A3 scanner, which might be the cheap option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usually when you want to go bigger than A4, you get the studio lights and digital camera set up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Justin, I take it you find the actual stitching process to be tedious. Would dedicated stitching software not be better?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    Justin, I take it you find the actual stitching process to be tedious. Would dedicated stitching software not be better?
    No, I just use the Photomerge feature built into Photoshop which does a cracking job.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add my 2 cents to this, I hate my Canon printer/scanner, (MG6620) grey scale isn't bad, though I find mine scans too lightly even in grey scale, course there may be an adjustment that I have missed that would make it better but color scans are not as good as I got on my old Epson printer/scanner. Course I think part of the problem is the max dpi on this scanner is only 600 dpi, while my old Epson was 1200.

Whatever model you end up getting make sure it scans at least 1200 dpi and many scanners will now scan at 2400 dpi or higher. You don't need that level of scanning for the internet, in fact 600 dpi is still overkill for images for the internet, but if you want archival images of your work so that it could be printed then you need high resolution scans and 1200 is minimum there. I had a broken printer when I purchased the Canon, and needed something ASAP, no one in my area had an Epson in stock so I ended up with the Canon after not enough research.

If you want a large format scanner then you need a stand alone (printer/scanners don't come that size) I don't have the space to give to a stand alone scanner, but if you have the bucks to spend and the space then you should go for the stand alone.

Do you know what scanner your local print shop uses? Or do they just use a larger copier/printer to do the scanning? You will get better quality from a large format stand alone scanner.

Reading on-line reviews sounds like your best option. The problem is that scanning art isn't a standard application, well it sort of is, but it is a narrow field so reviews aren't likely to be exactly what you are looking for. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

One last comment you are going to need to also invest in some software that will allow you to manipulate images, crop, rotate, shrink file sizes etc. There are free apps that will do the work, but you are going to need to spend the time to learn how to use them whatever you end up using. I use an older version of PhotoShop which is a bit overkill for your needs. But there are plenty of other programs/apps out there that will do the job.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We have an old Contex metre wide large format scanner, which we got on Ebay for £300 about 5-6 years ago. Worked well for a couple of years, but now past its best ... didn't come with the calibration charts, so is a very heavy door stop hidden under the cutting table now. Nice while it lasted though. Scanned at 500 dpi, so almost twice 300 dpi print resolution so we could scale up x2 OK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    We have an old Contex metre wide large format scanner, which we got on Ebay for £300 about 5-6 years ago. Worked well for a couple of years, but now past its best ... didn't come with the calibration charts, so is a very heavy door stop hidden under the cutting table now. Nice while it lasted though. Scanned at 500 dpi, so almost twice 300 dpi print resolution so we could scale up x2 OK.
    i searched in web. There are so many sites which they provide scanners. dunno which one is good to have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't reckon dpi is a major concern now that AI scaling algorithms are becoming popular, such as AI Gigapixel, and the online Let's Enhance, which I'm starting to use more and more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every artist wants their art to be preserved for ages. The best way to maintain any work of art is by digitizing them. However, even the smallest difference between the copy and original could ruin the meaning of the painting. So it is essential to choose the scanner that gives you the exact copy of the original work. Before buying a scanner, you will also have to know what kind of artwork you will be dealing with. Each type of artwork requires a specific feature from the scanner. So, consider the only scanner that fits your needs and not the most expensive one. As you require scanners for artwork, the resolution and the quality are the most important factor. Beyond that, storage and sharing also be two factors that help you decide which scanner to buy. You can consider the brand like Epson & Canon as they have established themselves as the biggest brands when it comes to printing and scanning technology.
    Last edited by Maja; 06-11-2020 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Spelling correction