Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Problems with coaster printing
    By Ljb596 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-06-2017, 10:58 PM
  2. Coaster printing and idling
    By technick in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM
  3. Mottled coaster printing
    By justme in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-01-2016, 05:31 PM
  4. Coaster Printing Problems
    By Tania in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
  5. Coaster Problems
    By danzab in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaster printing problems

I am printing Unisub coasters, and am finding some problems with cloudy/light coloured areas showing in the print.

The image below is a scan of one of my coasters with the offending white patches;

(The scan colours are off, but it does show the lighter patches.

I am printing for 65secs at 205c - as recommended on the Xpres website.

I started thinking this might be incomplete sublimation - requiring more time. However, I'm not at all sure this sis the case - and am also thinking that the relativley high temperature may be adversely affecting the blacks.

A also thought about moisture. however, I am working in a centrally heated house, so I would be surprised if this is the problem.

Could it be related to pressure? either too little, or too much?

Any thoughts would be welcome, as this is getting quite frustrating!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could try our setting of 190c for 75s firstly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to UK Printed Mugs For This Useful Post:

PaulH (13-02-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up the pressure would be my guess. Shouldn't need to go over 195c or 60 secs but to high a temp wouldn't result in that print error.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

PaulH (13-02-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My advice also. I do my coasters at 190 degrees, 55 seconds, two sheets of copy paper to soak up the moisture within the wood. Medium pressure. Too heavy and the coating will crack, too light, you'll get the patchy results.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoonerGary For This Useful Post:

PaulH (15-02-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Looks like moisture to me.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

PaulH (15-02-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uneven heat or pressure distribution on the press

11. The Following User Says Thank You to technick For This Useful Post:

PaulH (15-02-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your suggestion to address this issue.

Well, I have done some more experiments, and made some progress, but not fully solved yet.

To try to ensure there was no moisture on the coasters I gave them 20 seconds in the press without a transfer between a couple of sheets of copier paper.

I don't know if this helped, but it didn't see to do any harm!

I tried starting off with very little pressure, and pressing a series of coasters with increasing pressure - one turn of the handle for each coaster. I got my best results after 3.5 turns, which was a higher pressure than I was previously using.

I had been printing the transfers six to an A4 sheet, and wrapping the heat tape around the transfer paper. I guess this as a rookie mistake, and certainly not a good idea, as with the higher pressure I made a tape shaped mark on the coaster with a cloudy area around it. I am now printing four coasters to a sheet, which seems to have solved that particular problem, as I now run the heat tape flat without a fold.

During this process I ran out of my "difficult" sample print, and printed some more. I left them for a few minutes (probably about 10 minutes, maybe a little more) and then printed. The results were not as good. I think I need to leave them for quite a bit longer before printing. If my workflow allows, I think I will try to print the transfers one day, and print the coasters the next. I am using Ink Express paper and inks.

I have kept the press temperature at 195, but increased the time to 70 seconds to achieve the best level of sublimation. I will have to continue to work on this, as I feel my blacks may be turning somewhat brown. I may try reducing the temperature and increasing the time even further tomorrow to look at this.

I hope other complete newbies might find this helpful as a possible approach to dealing with this particular printing problem. There are quite a few variables to work with when trying to get good results from this process - and quite a few scrap coasters as well!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to check, are you printing these white side to the heat plate? I can get coasters fully printed in 45 secs for most designs if needed. Really shouldn't need to go over 60s.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

PaulH (15-02-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I am. I did make a couple of mistakes, and virtually no ink transferred, so I just turned them over and re-pressed them. I can see a definite increase in the depth of colour in the image as I increase the time, and the residual image on the transfer paper looks lighter as the time increases. At shorter times it just doesn't look as if the colour transfer is complete. My plan for Friday is to try some alternatives reducing the time slightly with the fully dry transfer paper, and see what works best for me.

One thing I have noticed is that the quality of my prints varies depending on the image. The most tricky one is a night shot which has a lot of dark colours in the image. Lighter colour palettes appear to print successfully with slightly less pressure/ shorter times.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you prints end up on other blanks.... mugs etc? Also, would be worth checking the actual temp on your press. Should be fully sublimated after 50s regardless of design at that temp.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

PaulH (15-02-2019)