Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Not On The High Street secret FB group
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-03-2018, 12:19 AM
  2. JK Group
    By Andrew in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2016, 04:24 PM
  3. newbie wanting to learn
    By hakuna in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-10-2010, 10:33 PM
  4. Anyone wanting stickers?
    By Stitch Up in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24-10-2009, 06:52 PM
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the group and wanting to set up.

Hi all.
    I am completely new to this so hopefully having read through some of the posts and with help I can have a go.

I recently bought a cameo sillhouette and although enjoying it cant help but think I could do more with sublimation.
    I have looked on ebayb etc but most seem to have problems with heads blocked so think I would be better buying new.
    The sawgrass sg400 looks to be the ideal starter machine ( the cheap epsons look as if they will cause me problems).
    Is this a good place to start and I think I saw trupix paper recommended.
    Would you recommend any firm to buy from I used mdp for my first vinyl order and although quick to deliver i need to make sure i dont order different type sheets as they all come together (so hard to tell which is which all htv).
    Would I be best sticking with sawgrass inks or use ink Express although it will come with a set of cartridges so would I need to do anything if I changed over after?

I have an old Joy's heatpress which may be ok until I can get a better newer one although I have no idea how to set it up in the menu again recommendations welcome for a different one.

Sorry for all the questions but as a newbie I am still learning and have enthusiasm.
    Thank you for reading through this.
    Jason

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi, and welcome Jason. Enthusiasm is exactly what you need, along with patience and a bottle of hair restorer! ;-)

Since you've been using HTV, are you more interested in sublimation for garments, or are you considering other areas, such as mugs, coasters, and other hard surface items?

In my opinion, Sawgrass inks are well overpriced and no better than the inks supplied by the likes of InkExpress and CIE. I have Ricoh SG3110DN printers which are basically the same as Sawgrass SG400's. They print very well with the CIE inks and paper I use, on all substrates.

I have refillable cartridges and buy 100ml bottles of ink. You will need an ICC profile (supplied by your ink supplier) to correctly manage the colours coming from your graphics software to your printer.

You'll find tons of information in the forum,but just ask if unsure. I can recommend paying the £10 annual premium membership as the discounts from the participating suppliers will soon more than cover the £10 membership fee.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.
    I think I would like to do mugs and experiment with more.
    I tried htv on mugs and failed but like the idea of full colour mugs and shirts.
    I was looking at used riches but think it's worth paying the extra for new.
    Where would you suggest for the ink bottles and would I be ok to use the cartridges which come with the printer first if I buy this one and then change to the cie inks?.
    I have a jarin hf2000 mug press which I could practise with but it has a small gap at each side so wont do complete mugs.
    I would like to eventually do canvas etc as it will be more of a hobby and for friends & family so will probably try all sorts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAS0N View Post
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.
    I think I would like to do mugs and experiment with more.
    I tried htv on mugs and failed but like the idea of full colour mugs and shirts.
    I was looking at used riches but think it's worth paying the extra for new.
    Where would you suggest for the ink bottles and would I be ok to use the cartridges which come with the printer first if I buy this one and then change to the cie inks?.
    I have a jarin hf2000 mug press which I could practise with but it has a small gap at each side so wont do complete mugs.
    I would like to eventually do canvas etc as it will be more of a hobby and for friends & family so will probably try all sorts.
    Firstly, be aware that everyone and their Granny is making mugs these days and prices are being driven down to ridiculous levels leaving meagre profits for the small-scale seller. That said, if you think you have enough customers to make it worthwhile, then by all means give it a go.

I have 2 mug presses and a halogen oven. The presses are ok for designs that are well clear of the base and handle (which act as heatsinks and cause fading at the edges). The halogen oven is great for full-area prints and can hold up to 4 mugs at a time. Apart from an oven, you will need silicone mug wraps too if you are considering this method.

With mug blanks ( and probably most other blanks), the quality of the surface and coating means everything. Cheap mugs will just bring you dents, dings, barrel distortion, chips, black specks, fading, and a whole load of other headaches, and you'll end up making more scrap than sell-able items. My advice is to buy good quality mugs from the likes of Xpres or Listawood, that print great and are dishwasher-proof.

You will need a new set of carts if you are going the CIE refillable route. CIE sell the carts too, along with the syringes etc needed to refill them.

A good tip with most printers is to keep them powered up 24/7 to stop the heads blocking. The Ricoh's (including the SG400) have an eco setting which does periodic cleaning of the heads and uses tiny amounts of ink.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow
    Thank you some great advice.
    Cant believe I threw away our old halagen oven not so long ago.

The inks from cie look perfect and a set is about the same price as one cartridge.
    Looks like that's the plan.
    I am always aware of the buy cheap buy twice so your advice on where to get the mugs etc is much appreciated.
    Can I do other items in the halogen oven?
    I like the that you suggest leaving the printer on as I would do that anyway as I never turn things off I.e I only restart the computer if there is a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just sent you a quick PM Jason.