Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. ST3042 thermostat
    By paulswanton in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-08-2021, 09:09 PM
  2. ST3042 silicon membrane
    By Andysam26467 in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-01-2020, 11:48 PM
  3. 3D ST3042 membrane
    By Andysam26467 in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-12-2018, 10:09 AM
  4. ST3042 tripping RCD
    By paulswanton in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-08-2016, 10:50 PM
  5. 3D Sublimation ST3042
    By ex0rcist in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Thread: ST3042 membrane

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ST3042 membrane

I was wondering if someone could recommend a place to buy a replacement membrane for this machine but one that is smooth/doesn’t have a pattern on it.
    Or maybe I can confirm weather or not this even exists... while scrolling through the forum I have noticed someone said at one point that when buying a replacement they got one that is bumpy unlike the smooth one they originally received with the machine.
    I assumed from that comment that some machines came with a completely flat/smooth membrane. Mine came with a membrane that has a some sort of a pattern on the side facing down.
    I’m trying to print phone case but I am just not happy with the result, I used both paper and film and settings starting from 150-190 from 4 min-8min increasing slowly. I wasted a lot of cases, and setting wise I used every possible combination.
    The print itself looks ok, colours transfer nicely and it is clear on all sides, but the glossy finish however, ends up looking kind of like it was already used, dirty (without being dirty)

After trying everything everything, it was pointed out to me that the membrane’s pattern might actually be the reason for this.
    I’d be really happy to find out if there is a better membrane out there or if this is just the best you can get with this type of machine?
    I’m considering selling it if I can’t find a solution as I only bought it for the cases and from all the info I could find it seemed to be like the better cheap option. Is that why it was so affordable compared to others?
    Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't have a vacuum oven but I do know from experience that using a teflon sheet to cover certain items in my press, such as acrylic, sometimes results in the pattern being transferred from the teflon to the product. I'd definitely be blaming that textured membrane for your troubles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    I don't have a vacuum oven but I do know from experience that using a teflon sheet to cover certain items in my press, such as acrylic, sometimes results in the pattern being transferred from the teflon to the product. I'd definitely be blaming that textured membrane for your troubles.
    Thank you!It’s good to finally know for sure what is causing my troubles, I kept blaming the temperature and time for a while, it drove me crazy.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a 3D press and have used both types of membranes.

I have done a few phone cases and never noticed any difference when using a patterned membrane. However I did use a decent weight transfer paper such as True Pix or Ink Experts (both around 120gsm I think).

I am not sure how the membrane pattern could affect the finish unless there is a definite similarity to the pattern of the membrane and the finish on the case. It would be good to know what cases you are using as it could be the quality of the case.

Secondly, do a search on this forum and you will see some excellent threads about times and temps using a 3D oven and dye sub paper, including how to get perfect corners everytime.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    I have a 3D press and have used both types of membranes.

I have done a few phone cases and never noticed any difference when using a patterned membrane. However I did use a decent weight transfer paper such as True Pix or Ink Experts (both around 120gsm I think).

I am not sure how the membrane pattern could affect the finish unless there is a definite similarity to the pattern of the membrane and the finish on the case. It would be good to know what cases you are using as it could be the quality of the case.

Secondly, do a search on this forum and you will see some excellent threads about times and temps using a 3D oven and dye sub paper, including how to get perfect corners everytime.
    thank you for your answer. May I ask if the phone cases you used were Matt or glossy? I used the S-race paper. I got it when I bought my printer.
    I have read already pretty much all I could find regarding temps and time and did try them all, it is now about 4 month in total since I’ve tried things, gave up, started again, forums something new, started again.

The thing I am trying to sort out is quite subtle, it is not something that can be captured in a photo. The print and the corners and everything else took a while for me to figure but it was not the hard part, they come out perfectly.
    My issue is with the glow/gloss. In natural light it will look just fine, however under the light of a bulb and looking closely it’s spotty. I find it so hard to explain...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind sharing where you get the smooth membrane from? They never have close up pictures so I can’t tell which one they sell.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I have no idea :-)

I suspect that the supplier will not specifically select smooth.rippled either and it is just what comes in. You could try BMS as I have purchased a few from them.

I think the spotty issue could possibly be something else, is the dye sub paper 100% dry before printing? Ideally if you can leave a printed sheet to dry for 30 minutes before using that might help.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    To be honest, I have no idea :-)

I suspect that the supplier will not specifically select smooth.rippled either and it is just what comes in. You could try BMS as I have purchased a few from them.

I think the spotty issue could possibly be something else, is the dye sub paper 100% dry before printing? Ideally if you can leave a printed sheet to dry for 30 minutes before using that might help.
    thank you for your answer... you made me doubt the membrane thing now ! I’ll try leaving the paper to dry for more time, although I never had issues with it when printing fabrics or ornaments. And I would also like to buy a high quality case from somewhere else to be able to compare results. Do you happen to know where in th U.K. they have like a really good quality case? I am really grateful for the help, thanks.