Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Clam or Swing?
    By vsasmaz in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2017, 03:07 PM
  2. 38x38 clam press - advice for buying one
    By smes9 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-06-2016, 11:30 PM
  3. Swing heat press advice
    By bianca in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-05-2016, 12:19 AM
  4. So... Does size matter?
    By rickycalla in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM
  5. Swing or clam?
    By twinsgran in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 13-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking advice. Does size matter? To clam or swing away?

Warning complete newbie. Any advice would be appreciated. I am looking at a start up from scratch primarily for T-shirts but also tiles as well. I have many questions so will try to keep focused on the heat press for now. As well as sublimation I would also like to work with vinyl and transfers. Looking at most t-shirts I would think a 15 x 15 image would be ok. So do you need a larger 16 x 20 model?

I like the Galaxy range. I particularly like the auto timer and drawer functions for the T's but can I do tiles in them? I've gotten mixed reviews on this from reading on forums and you tube. Most show tile sub done with a clam and not the swing away?

Thank you in advance to any who can take the time to guide me.

Cheers. Claire :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for a swing away press Claire, you'll be able to do tiles, rock slates etc. Better more even pressure than a clam and also better for T-shirts and garments as you have more room to manoeuvre and have less chance of burning yourself. These are normally heavy beasts so you will require a sturdy bench to plonk it on and you will need to have more space than you require for a clam to be able to swing away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply Brant. I believe the swing away press by Galaxy through Subliblanks is the larger 16" x 20" platen ( is that right?). It's £950 but does come with a stand. Saves me building a more stable table as none of mine could cope with the weight of these beasts. Great term for them! I will re-jiggle my layout to allow for the swing. Need to save a bit more up, although I will save in the long run from not buying the wrong press! Thank you again for your time :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get a real bargain by purchasing a Heat press advertised on this forum (which was also on eBay). Geo Knight DK 20s which was hardly used for less than half the price if purchased new, so if you're not in a hurry it's worth you shopping around.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £950 is about the same price as a Pressmech from Novachrome. British made, built like a tank and with a much greater range of pressing heights than most presses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not in super big hurry as so much to learn! I've been trying to get the space ready I'm going to use and learn as much about the different methods available. I have given myself three years to be up and running. Ties in with kids leaving the nest and me avoiding a regular 9-5 ( I know long hours are involved, just want them on my terms!) . I have to fit my planning and designing around my jobs and the family/home.

I will look into the Pressmech. I have heard of it but kinda liked the functions of the Galaxy. I'm so easily swayed by those great green colours!

thank you both for your time. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the Pressmech but can't find many details. My main "want" was an auto release. I am constantly doing a few things at once and my mind travels so don't want to burn the place down or keep over cooking items. It is a little more expensive then the Galaxy as that comes with a stand but cant argue with the reviews. I couldn't see a stand for the Pressmech on their site? I can build one just would save a couple of afternoons work lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [h=Epson ET-2711 and ET-14000 Test Results]3[/h]
    Check out this thread, regarding printers.
    Last edited by pw66; 05-06-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL pw66. It's like you were in my mind? I went on eBay to look for one and noticed Ink Experts, whom I remembered reading on here. Checked out their website then found that exact thread on a google search! I left a message as it looks really good, might even be able to get both the sub and a new pigmant printer for the same price as the sawgrass! Sorry sawgrass :(

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel sorry for Sawgrass. They have had the small format sublimation industry tied up in restrictive patents for years. It has only been the last few years that other options have been readily available.