Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Can a smaller printer or heat press be used to create bigger subs?
    By Cam in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 11:39 PM
  2. Mug Boxes - need something a bit bigger
    By arthur.daley in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM
  3. Wanted Large Heat Press 50cm x 50cm or Bigger
    By uniform1400 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does bigger mean better?

Warning. Newbie. Starting from scratch so I have many queries that I'm posting on other threads so will try to keep this to printers. I have a Brother MFC-J6510DW that I will use for transfers onto black or cotton T's. (not everyone can wear polyester) I've looked into pigment inks but this printer can only use black pigment ink so i will run tests with standard ink as I've been told by many that they can work (transfers only).

Regardless. Sublimation will give a better feel/finish and I also wish to work on tiles. I have looked primly at the Sawgrass SG400 and SG800. (As on a deal with a galaxy heat press from Subliblanks)

First question as the price difference is considerable, do you need the larger print area? I'm not sure the A4 will be enough on a large T? Is it worth investing now in the larger model?

Secondly. Although the prints look amazing from the sawgrass that I've seen is it really that much better then an Epson or brother etc?

Thirdly. I can't find a CISS for the sawgrass. Do you need a CISS? A lot of people seem to find them more trouble then they are worth?

Lastly.(for now!) The sawgrass comes with a design package. Is it any good? Should I factor that into my decision?

Basically if you print T's and were starting with all your knowledge what would you go for?

Sorry if this is a repeat of questions. I have tried to search through the forum but didn't get all I wanted. Thank you for your time and many thanx in advance to any input you can give.

Best wishes Claire.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is bigger better?- yes, absolutely! - our biggest heat press and printer are now both 1.6 metres wide ... we started out with an A3 Epson with CISS that never worked properly, and over the years have traded up and up and up!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To print transfers onto black you really do need pigment ink. 'Ordinary' dye ink looks great when printed but is less waterproof than pigment ink and will wash out within a few washes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys for your replies. Wow....1.6m's, that's a big Tshirt lol! So go as big as I can afford then and hopefully build enough to grow. I was hoping not to have to buy both a new printer for pigment inks and the sub printer. I may start with one and see if people like what I make and then branch out into the other methods. I'm looking at sci-fi/fantasy art images and think the darker colours would be in more demand? Hence the transfers. Torn as the sublimation gives a lovely feel and I can do the tiles ideas I've got.

You've said the Epson plus CISS was problematic. Would you advise the sawgrass models? I know the inks and machine are expensive but people seem to have less issues and I'm not great with new tech, lack of patience with inanimate objects will be my downfall! Thank you both once again for your time. Best wishes Claire :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ciss are ok when you get used to them, on most models. There is definately a learning curve.

The Epson ET 14000 has built in ink tanks, so you don't need a ciss. A3+ printing at half the price of an A3 Sawgrass SG 800. Ink costs £72 per litre as against £960 per litre for Sawgrass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx. I work out the price per T for ink difference but seeing it written like that is an eye opener. With a lower priced sub printer I might be able to afford a printer that takes pigmant ink as well as. I was just worried about a drop in detailing/finish of the print plus the issues some seem to get for the Epsons. I will look into that model. thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you will get any quality issues with the Epson ET 14000 - it is based on a very good photo printer. Probably at least as good as the Sawgrass.

Ink per tee is relevant, but you don't buy the ink on a 'per tee' basis. A full set of genuine Sawgrass cartridges is £240. Four 100ml bottles of good branded ink for the Epson is less than £40.

To be fair you can get refillable cartridges for the Sawgrass and third party inks, but you are still paying a lot in the first place for the printer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you pw66. I understand what you are saying. My costing per T was only a quick run through to see if this was even a viable concept for me a few months ago. The sawgrass would eat a lot of my start up money. With quite a hefty wish list of items it would be nice to be able to get the two printers I want and not just the one. (one sub, one pigmant) Although once I have my press I will do some tests with regular inkjet ink to see if it does last. Thanx :)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfsuprex View Post
    Thank you guys for your replies. Wow....1.6m's, that's a big Tshirt lol! So go as big as I can afford then and hopefully build enough to grow.
    Lol we print fabrics on the roll, and then cut/sew them into products, rather than printing products that already made up. This gives a much better finished product, but obviously means we need in-house sewing etc. We outsource upholstery though.
    We've been in business 8 years, and only in the last 12 months moved up to this size, after many years running a 1 metre (before that was 24", and before that 17") each size increase opens up new product possibilities.

But, I wouldn't advise anyone jumps in at this level mind without previous experience, starting with A3 or A4 is a good starting point to learn the basics, and for many reasons I would avoid Sawgrass on principal, but I don't want to get into that now. If I were advising a friend to start out, I'd say to go for an Epson EcoTank with InkTec inks.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    As said by the other members, go for an A3 if you can afford it. Sawgrass SG800 is a great printer, but its so expensive to buy initially that's before getting into running costs with SG cartridges. We have been selling Epson ET14000 for a while now and they have been great. Print quality is excellent for a 4 colour printer, with the eco tank its incredibly easy to use too so ideal for new users who are frightened off by a retro fitted CISS but still want a saving.

As PW66 said the cost of 400ml ink refills is less than £40.00 so cost per print is very low.

We have some product testing and images in our ET14000 progress thread here -

https://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforu...0-Test-Results

Alex