Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Sefa Heat Presses
    By Justin in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-04-2015, 10:27 AM
  2. Where to start with heat presses?
    By Dagema in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2013, 12:11 PM
  3. NEW HEAT PRESSES
    By steve dee in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-04-2010, 07:29 PM
  4. Advice on new heat presses
    By Justin in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Advice: New to sublimation - are heat presses different ?

hi Guys
    I just started a sublimation business and bought my dual mug printer (freesub from signzworld), got all accessories,printer and setup my website.

However my funds are limited and looking to buy a Tshirt heat press machine.

There are so many in the market and so many threads giving advise and most tend to incline towards expensive heat press machines and with my low budget, I am totally confused.

1. Which UK websites/companies are industry leaders

2. Why are some heat press machines so expensive, as they range from £100 + to over £2,000+ (even more)

I thought the quality would come from the likes of the Tshirt quality, ink and sublimation paper ???? (After all, all the machine does is pressure and heat)

Secondly, most machines give 2 or more years of warranty - ??? kindly advise on this

3. Can anyone recommend a budget heat press machine and why ? My maximum budget is £300

4. Are the multi-functional (e.g. 5in 1 or 8 in 1) heat press machines any good ?

Kindly advise

many thanks
    Baye

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Baye,

I’m looking to buy my first T press as well. Congrats on the new Biz! Someone with more knowledge then me will be able to give you more advice.

From my understanding if you go too cheap the heating filament and pressure might not be the same across the whole face of your heater. This will result in blotchy transfers. Or things not fully adhering if you venture into vinyl. I’d imagine this may even effect it’s durability?

Someone may disagree but if you have a mug press already I’d invest in a sound flat press designed for that sole purpose?

Plus for warranty and if you need help, it appears you pay more for a UK based help system. I’m leaning towards the Galaxy press. Made abroad but support in U.K. Not the cheapest or the most expensive.

Figure out what you want, like how big do you want to print effects size of press. If you can only print A4 then maybe a smaller one would be ok. Although on an XL T that may get lost? Clam or swing away. If you may print other items a swing away may be better but it needs way more space.

Pick out the the one you like and then hit eBay, etc as you may get a better machine then you think you can afford for less?

Not sure if that helps you? It’s how I’m having to do it to get through the mountain of choices available. Let me know what you go for and why! Good luck with all the reading ahead of you. Best wishes Claire:)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I bought this setup a few years ago - https://www.heatpressesdirect.com/sw...y-4-in-1-press and, to be honest, I wasn't expecting miracles, I just wanted to get started and maybe replace machines as time went by. It was around £100 cheaper at the time of purchase.

I still have the same setup! (... with the addition of another 2nd hand mug press and a halogen oven). It's served me well and I have no complaints to date. I don't do much in the way of clothing, apart from polyester tote bags, but I have printed many mugs and other items, such as aluminium sheets, jigsaws, acrylic, etc and the presses have been fine. I do more in the way of experimenting than in actual jobs!

I like the swing-away not because it swings away, but because you can alter the height and the top and bottom platens are always parallel - useful if you are printing on thick, hard substrates, not really a great option with a clam press.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sublimation you need a consistant heat and presure accross the platen, which is where a lot of the cost difference is. You don't always get that consistancy with a cheap press.

You can get away with some temp. inconsistancy when printing cut vinyl or transfers but not with sublimation.

The dearer presses are designed to be used all day every day and are more 'heavy duty' than a cheap press. Some of the dearer ones have a lot of programable features that are of limited benefit ( unless you are using a lot of semi skilled staff ). 2k is more than is needed for a t-shirt press - at 1k the pressmech is better made than most, and is as much as you need to spend.

There are plenty of good cheap presses available, but it is hard to recomend one in particular. They either work or they don't, and each individual press can be a keeper or junk.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having spent a lot of time browsing through, I thought I settle for this

I am yet to purchase it, as it says 3 year warranty and I dont think I could go wrong with that

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microtec-...RqivzBKao7z3zg

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Be good to look through Ebay for decent pro level presses in used but good condition to get the best for your money, rather than buying a cheap press new

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem here is what is a pro ?

I am told microtec is a top quality brand and with 3 year warranty, I dont see what could go wrong

Secondly why buy a 2nd hand with no warranty or history (as unlike cars with mot and service history) these have none

Unless I am missing something

Lastly I am thinking of using this as a backup or spare in the future if and when I am successful

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microtec make very good presses for several well known brands, but they also make a lot of cheap and cheerful stuff too.

Check the terms of the guarantee carefully.
    Buy with your credit card direct ( not through paypal ) so the credit card company will be jointly liable for any faults.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    Microtec make very good presses for several well known brands, but they also make a lot of cheap and cheerful stuff too.

Check the terms of the guarantee carefully.
    Buy with your credit card direct ( not through paypal ) so the credit card company will be jointly liable for any faults.
    How does the cc compnay be liable ?

I am buying via ebay, as ebay has always given me a refund. Please explain how this works

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under the Consumer Credit Act credit providers are jointly liable for any faults on any item costing more than £100, bought by a private individual, sole trader or member of an unincorporated partnership.

You can claim direct from the credit company - they will try to make you approach the seller first but that is not how the law is written.

If you pay through paypal using your card then you are not covered because paypal is seen as an intermediary and in the eyes of the law there is no direct link between the card provider and the seller.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

Surfsuprex (12-06-2019), webtrekker (11-06-2019)