Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Can you sort out a argument about web domains
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to settle an argument.

Is it true that when you reach retirement age you stop paying into the NHS or do you carry on paying from your pensions?
    Ive tried Googling this question but cant find an answer, so I thought Id ask on here.
    I havent lived in the UK for some time and have forgotten how the NHS contributions work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi Earl. I'm retired now (aged 67) and receive my State Pension. I pay no contributions to the NHS. If I earn more than my personal allowance then I have to pay tax, as normal, and Class 4 NIC's on my profits, but only for the first year of retirement.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay Trump direct.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Webtrekker, I thought that was the way it worked.

Ive just come back from visiting family in the USA and we got into a discussion comparing the health systems
    in the US and the NHS in the UK. ( My son in law is a doctor in the US). I always support the NHS and say how good its is.
    What he pointed out was that people in the UK stop paying after retirement ( I couldnt confirm that) but in the US, under the private system,
    they have to keep paying until dead. A family insurance of two adults and two children pay around $2,000 a month.

And this same discussion came up last weekend here in Germany. We have both private and government systems here, as does most of Europe, and we have to keep paying until we are dead.
    My german friends were asking that if the NHS goes private , will people have to pay into the NHS after retirement. That I couldnt answer but it would be interesting to point this out if the people are voting for a privitised NHS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt that the system would be any better under a privatised NHS. Several parts of the NHS are already privatised. But at the current immigration rate, it is impossible to finance it completely without private help. As for Trump wanting to compete for NHS contacts. Those arguing against it, should note that the EU actively promotes the privatisation of healthcare and a recent ECJ ruling has stated that healthcare is a private enterprise, so contracts must be tendered out to all EU companies. So why can only EU companies bid and not American?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    God forbid we should ever end up like our 'special relatives' over the Pond. I'd rather be IN the Pond!

However, until we become brave enought to ditch our present governmental system, and the Royal parasites along with it, then we will never know TRUE democracy.

Like it, or Trump it! That's the reality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Just you wait for the new BHS....... BORIS! HAHA
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (11-06-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not asking for a debate about privatising the NHS, but just trying to find how the payment system works.
    But the more privitised it becomes then the more likely it is that you will end up paying until the day you die. Where does that money come from and are your pensions big enough?
    I bet your politicians are not saying a word about that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Smith View Post
    Thanks Webtrekker, I thought that was the way it worked.

Ive just come back from visiting family in the USA and we got into a discussion comparing the health systems
    in the US and the NHS in the UK. ( My son in law is a doctor in the US). I always support the NHS and say how good its is.
    What he pointed out was that people in the UK stop paying after retirement ( I couldnt confirm that) but in the US, under the private system,
    they have to keep paying until dead. A family insurance of two adults and two children pay around $2,000 a month.

And this same discussion came up last weekend here in Germany. We have both private and government systems here, as does most of Europe, and we have to keep paying until we are dead.
    My german friends were asking that if the NHS goes private , will people have to pay into the NHS after retirement. That I couldnt answer but it would be interesting to point this out if the people are voting for a privitised NHS.
    My daughter visited Disneyland in Florida. After the first couple of days she was in agony with constant headaches. The local hospital only offered painkillers, so she returned home in pain all the way. Next day, she was diagnosed with toothache and had a tooth removed. End of the pain.

However, shortly after, a bill arrives from the US demanding $800 for her 'treatment!.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 17€ with Alliance insurance (overseas health insurance) you would have been covered and not paid a thing. That how we do it.