Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2015, 01:57 PM
  2. Is Direct to Garment printing getting rid of transfer printing?
    By Pascale in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to mug printing...

Hi guys,

First post & in need of newbie help :)

Im very new to mug printing, been screen printing t-shirts & doing HTV for a while now, but I get asked every now and then for the odd mug here and there, so thought I would look into having a go.

Now I brought a setup and a few bits from Ink experts and had some great info & help from Alex via email, but kept thinking like I was taking too much of his time up with my lack of knowledge on mug printing.

So was hoping maybe someone on here could please help me out on a few questions :)

I have everything I need to print some mugs, apart from the mugs themselves ha ha, now I fully understand I will be wasting quite a few mugs, due to getting everything right and finding the balance as with everything new.

1) What would be a good mug to start printing with? I order lots of bits from MPD, are their orca mugs any good?

2) I have some green silicone wraps, which would allow me to put the mugs in an oven, does the standard size wrap fit different styles of mugs? i.e if I brought some Durham & Chester style mugs would I need different wraps for each mug?

3) Once your designs are printed to the sublimation paper, can you store the these for use later on? or do you have to apply them the mugs asap?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Thanks, Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mugs from mdp are great but I buy mine from signzworld they are on eBay also, 36 orca coated mugs for £32 delivered and they are fantastic.

Had one or two that mugs in 1000 had a small bump but for the saving it’s well worth it.

i can’t comment on wraps as I use a press.
    I only print what I need so have never held a printed image for more than an hour.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply buddy, Have just ordered some to give them a bash :)

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    As above I also buy most of mugs from Signzworld, there are lsightly better mugs out there but for me they are at the right price point for the quality I need / expect.

Designs printed on to the sub paper can be kept and pressed at a later date. I have pressed prints that were done 3-4 weeks prior and had no issues. So essentially you could keep a batch of some of your most popular designs.

Only thing I would say is to store them in a cool, dry place (design drawer or similar) and wrap in the plastic celephene the paper comes packaged in to ensure it doesn't curl in storage.

Alex

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alex, first test mugs using the mugs from signzworld & your sub paper came out great, very happy with the results!

Only thing I cant get right is the logo / image to be in the same place on the mugs ha ha, I made a template on Affinity designer, saved the file as a PDF and opened it up in PS to print the artwork but cant seem to work out why each image on the both sides are in different places.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Can you not print directly from Affinity Designer? I thought it accepted ICC printer profiles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    Can you not print directly from Affinity Designer? I thought it accepted ICC printer profiles.
    No sadly not, well if you can I cant seem to do it ha ha, I did try and the print just came out B/W, same as the cameo 3 print & cut, I cant get the ICC profile to work with that either

Do you think the artwork could be getting larger when exporting as a PDF file?

Cheers, Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affinity Designer is fully ICC compliant. There is a colour options tab whe you select print. You can select your ICC profile there and set the app to handle colours.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got the profile linked & setup in Affinity, I just cant get the printer to print it in colour like it should be :( maybe Ive checked the wrong boxes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is in the preferences. You set up out put colour when you select print, under the colour tab.

In preferences you should set up your RGB space as the 1966-2.1 profile. IOf you set it as a sublimation profile all you are doing is proofing the monitor to show the colour your tranfer will print, not the colour you want to sublimate to.