Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Bottom falling out of mugs!
    By smiley_mug in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-05-2018, 12:32 PM
  2. Stickers for bottom of mugs
    By RuthWinchester in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-04-2017, 05:52 PM
  3. stamp the bottom of mugs etc
    By smitch6 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 14-03-2016, 11:06 PM
  4. Printing on the Bottom of Sub Mugs.
    By NikGrey in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 04:04 PM
  5. Bottom of mugs...
    By Dezignwar in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top to bottom prints on mugs?

i've always struggled to get top to bottom prints, my first cheap Chinese press was pretty awful and a slightly better Chinese one from bms a bit better but generally i need to leave at the very min 5mm to be safe. i use truprint paper and mugs were bms ones at first then cheap signprintz from ebay.

ive seen pics of mugs with full length prints, is there a trick to this, is it even possible with a mug press?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say to use a halogen oven. I am sure there will be others along shortly to second this course of action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree that only possible with an oven. Although ours is 3d vacuum type and not halogen.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We've never really had an issue with this just using presses (inc cheap Chinese presses) just need to make sure you can get your press tight enough, and pre-heat the mug bases.

I've found one problem of not being able to get presses tight enough, is some presses seem like they were build for slightly bigger 11oz mugs, and it can be tricky to get them tight enough on a 10oz mug - that's my theory, some presses may just be crap!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Printed Mugs View Post
    I agree that only possible with an oven. Although ours is 3d vacuum type and not halogen.
    An old thread I know, but I've always avoided full top to bottom. Trying a batch this afternoon, but even with an oven I've got far too many bad prints to even admit!

Mugs which taper off sharply is the main culprit. I've been experimenting with transfer size, wondering if the paper buckling beyond the edge of the mug was contributing to it, but it's hit and miss whether it works or not.

I'm 5mm from the handle which is an oven bonus, but not full top to bottom!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently just use a small halogen with wraps and get pretty good coverage.
    .IMG_20200122_135215127.jpg1130031525.jpg
    The stripey mug is a Listawood 10oz and the two outer mugs in the group pic are XP5013's
    Last edited by Baldy; 26-01-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    Mugs which taper off sharply is the main culprit. I've been experimenting with transfer size, wondering if the paper buckling beyond the edge of the mug was contributing to it, but it's hit and miss whether it works or not.
    I suspect that contributes to issues. I keep meaning to try putting slits in the top and bottom of the paper (think fat tassels) so it can wrap around easier without it affecting the tension elsewhere.
    One of many things on the to-do list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I normally put bottles on a little plinth to raise the height. Think I'll try it with mugs to help prevent any gassing as the paper buckles.

Although some of your mugs haven't been printed full top to bottom, whose mug is the blue crustacean on the left?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally put bottles on a little plinth to raise the height. Think I'll try it with mugs to help prevent any gassing as the paper buckles.

Although some of your mugs haven't been printed full top to bottom, whose mug is the blue crustacean on the left?
    That one was one of the Xpres 5013's.
    To be honest I've never had issues with the printability of these mugs. For me it's just the longevity (or lack of) of the coating vs dishwashers compared to others that sadly let them down...if only we could combine these mugs with the Duraglaze coating.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I do that with my mugs, Gary. I stand them on Jubilee clips to stop the bottom edge of the silicone wrap touching the grille as this sometimes causes the edge to wrinkle.