Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Thinking of changing CK print head on my Roland SP300i
    By Ravisteam in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-04-2020, 07:03 PM
  2. some transfers still fading big time after 1st wash
    By paul 44 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-10-2016, 09:16 PM
  3. tmt oki white garment wash test
    By guarddog14 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-04-2014, 10:36 AM
  4. screen wash for plastisol ink
    By Paul in forum Screen Printing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
  5. wash removable garment decoration
    By logobear in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roland BN-20 Head Wash

Hi
    I've got quite a lot of gaps when I do a nozzle check print and have done 3 powerful cleans and that hasn't helped. I see there is an option for a head wash, where you use the dummy cartridges etc. I've never done this. I bought the printer used about 3 or 4 years ago i think. Should I try doing this? it doesn't sound like much is in the cleaning cartridge though.

Also there is a lot of black ink where the wiper etc is, where you clean. looks like it's leaked or something. Is it suppose to be like this? I think it's been like this since not long after I bought it, so didn't think anything of it.
    Thanks for your help
    Lianne
    Last edited by liannef; 16-07-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Lianne

Give Sean Taylor a call or email at the below. They sell cleaning carts and he is arguably one of the most helpful guys for wide format printers. Hopefully the carts will fit a BN20. Tell him Simon sent you so he knows where you got his details from...

[table]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sean Taylor
    UK Sales Manager
    [table]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    M 07384 511108
    E sean@digitalinkgb.com
    W www.digitalinkgb.com
    A Unit 10A, Brookfield Business Park, Brookfield Road, Cheadle, Cheshire, SK8 2PN, United Kingdom
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is their front end web site

https://www.digitalinkdirect.co.uk/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has the wiper or felt pad ever been changed? If not a good thing to do and you should clean it regularly around the capping station, edge of head, scrapper etc with swabs and cleaner. Sometimes after a clean I run solid colours in CMYK as a print test to get things firing through well as sometimes the test print looks worse after running one of those cleaning cycles for some reason but running a job as described gets a better result if the test is done after. Might need a bit more of a service of course but thats a few things there you can do before running cleaner through (which ive never done either)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've spoken to technical at Roland and they have advised to give the machine a proper manual clean and to get back to them if it is still like it. I have done one and left some solution in the capping station and it improved a little, so am wanting to do another one as I didn't remove all the splodges of black ink, which I hope isn't leaking from somewhere but every time I click the manual cleaning button, it tells me to remove the sheet, which i do, but because I've moved the lever to remove the sheet, it restarts and tells me to put the sheet in, so i'm going round in circles. Am I missing something obvious as it worked a couple of days ago? Roland also suggested replacing the wiper and felt pad, so will do that next if it doesn't help as there is lots of black ink in that section.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You remove the sheet first then select manual head cleaning, run a small print job first if you like before doing this. You should replace the felt pad and wiper anyway, they both aid the cleaning process. The wiper can be cleaned if you dont have a spare but they do wear and don't cost much. If it's under warranty fit a genuine items wiper/felt pad. Out of interest what inks are you using?

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done some more manual cleans and poured solution in the capping station and no change. I'm going to try some more standard and medium cleans and cleaning the actual head next. I think I did one or two power cleans in the beginning but Roland suggested not doing this as it uses lots of ink, but they say that it's likely the head, which is £1500 plus I'm guessing vat and labour. Just for them to come and look is £400! I've had 2 or 3 paper jams since i've had it so maybe i've damaged the head then?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, are your inks in date?

Personally I would not deal with Roland (ever!), they are money grabbing arses. If you are going to call someone out then call Sean Taylor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apparently roland inks don't have use by dates, as I asked Grafityp as I thought the numbers on the sides were dates, but they said they were just serial numbers. i have changed the cartridges since I've bought it. Can't remember re the black but it gets used a lot so should have. I didn't know there was anyone else who could fix them other than Roland?

i changed yellow and magenta this year and cyan and black in Oct 2017
    Last edited by liannef; 20-08-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did not know that about Roland inks and that is very surprising.

To improve the black you could try upping the temperature on the printing and drying in Versaworks. I did this to improve some printing on my Roland when it was misbehaving (turns out that was out of date ink!).

With regards to an engineer, if you do not have a warranty plan with Roland you can use who the hell you like. I have also found that Roland engineer's will just take one look and say "this needs replacing at a cost of £XXXXX" where as an independent will actually look at the problem and see if they can fix it first. Regardless, an engineer will not be cheap, it is worth hunting around for that sort of thing, I will only recommend Sean Taylor above for Roland as I have dealt with him and I know he is a good guy, but that does not mean to say that the other independents are no good. Ideally you want to find one local to you.

By the way, your capping station is considerably cleaner than mine :-)