Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Galaxy Hobby Press V2
    By fredkite in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-09-2017, 12:00 AM
  2. Got new hobby!
    By Paul in forum Take a Break
    Last Post: 22-11-2016, 02:06 PM
  3. Graphic Software For Startup
    By Karl82 in forum Software
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 25-02-2016, 11:37 AM
  4. Sold Sublimation Startup Package
    By dj_doubler in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Last Post: 14-07-2011, 03:45 PM
  5. Startup
    By joconnell in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New startup hobby help.

Hi all,

I'm new here and I fancy putting my hand to a bit of sublimating, so I apologise for what are probably basic questions. I was thinking of starting with mugs and then seeing where it takes me. I need to keep this on a budget though to keep the better half happy, so I was wondering where I can skimp a little, and what needs to be the 'good stuff'. So please excuse these beginner questions...

1. I have an Epson XP-412 at home, would this be a worthy candidate to convert?
    2. I've read about printer profiles, are these actually needed for my basic hobby status? I understand that they'll tell the printer how much of each colour to use, but how much difference do they actually make?
    3. Are cheap ebay mug presses any good? there seems to be so many sellers with what looks like generally the same product - probably from china.
    4. I'm expecting the paper and mugs will need to be the good parts of this experiment for it to transfer the ink properly.

Anyway I've got a cuppa and i'm going to keep reading and digesting the forum.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see why your XP-412 won't work - Alex from Ink Experts on this forum will be able to advise on that.

Use of profiles will depend on the type of image you are printing. If you are printing photos or customer supplied images they are essential. If you are printing your own designs then you can get by without them. Print and sublimate your own colour chart to see how a wide range of colours will appear on your products, and use that as your pallet.

Cheap presses can be good or bad. It depends largely on the individual press you end up with, not the brand or supplier. Might be good enough to start with, but even on a top quality press the heating element is a consumable item and needs to be replaced occasionaly. On a cheap press that replacement is likely to be more regular.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    I can't see why your XP-412 won't work - Alex from Ink Experts on this forum will be able to advise on that.

Use of profiles will depend on the type of image you are printing. If you are printing photos or customer supplied images they are essential. If you are printing your own designs then you can get by without them. Print and sublimate your own colour chart to see how a wide range of colours will appear on your products, and use that as your pallet.

Cheap presses can be good or bad. It depends largely on the individual press you end up with, not the brand or supplier. Might be good enough to start with, but even on a top quality press the heating element is a consumable item and needs to be replaced occasionaly. On a cheap press that replacement is likely to be more regular.
    Thanks Pat, happy to help and advise where I can :)

1. I have an Epson XP-412 at home, would this be a worthy candidate to convert? - absolutely- as long as its in good working condition there is no issue in converting it to sublimation. You could also opt to buy a new setup for sublimation (new printer, ink set etc etc) should you wish to go that route.
    2. I've read about printer profiles, are these actually needed for my basic hobby status? I understand that they'll tell the printer how much of each colour to use, but how much difference do they actually make? - An ICC can make a big difference, it depends on what images you're planning to produce and how picky you or your customers are. We find that reproducing logos with specific colours is tricky without an icc as the colours will differ slightly and if you have a set design to look at you may well see the difference. When it comes to your own designs or full colour images you probably wouldn't notice in honesty.
    3. Are cheap ebay mug presses any good? there seems to be so many sellers with what looks like generally the same product - probably from china. - We use 'UK Heat Press' heat presses, these are 'cheap Chinese' ones and we find they work really well for what we need. Granted there are better presses out there but as a start up they are ideal and don't break the bank. If one of ours breaks we simply replace it... its earnt its money and cost of the replacement isn't the end of the world for me.
    4. I'm expecting the paper and mugs will need to be the good parts of this experiment for it to transfer the ink properly. - the ink and paper will make the most difference in my experience. Good ink and good sub paper will yield good consistent results. We usually recommend Inktec sublinova inks they are stable, well priced and consistent. There are loads of sub papers on the market, ours are as good as are most of the other well known brands out there. Most mug coatings are similar, some premium brands do tend to have less inperfections (pin holes) in the coatings but I have always been quite happy with my cheap mugs from Signzworld.

I hope that helps :)

Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 01902 213533 |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    .uk

10% discount on Sublimation Supplies for Dye Sub Forum Premium Members

4. The Following User Says Thank You to InkExperts For This Useful Post:

Qwertyjon (17-07-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gents, thanks very much.

Alex - I saw what you said about good working condition, so I dusted it off, and gave it a try doing full colour. It usually only does the odd document printing and manages that ok. Turns out my Yellow is dead, I've spent way too long tonight fiddling and attempting to clean nozzles so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one for sub projects, and keep this for the odd document that it manages just fine... on that note, my next cheeky question is, do you have any discounts on offer to try to keep Mrs Q at bay a little longer?

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be worth upgrading to premium membership as this will give you savings from various suppliers.
    I think Alex gives discount although may not be on printers but worth checking.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertyjon View Post
    Gents, thanks very much.

Alex - I saw what you said about good working condition, so I dusted it off, and gave it a try doing full colour. It usually only does the odd document printing and manages that ok. Turns out my Yellow is dead, I've spent way too long tonight fiddling and attempting to clean nozzles so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one for sub projects, and keep this for the odd document that it manages just fine... on that note, my next cheeky question is, do you have any discounts on offer to try to keep Mrs Q at bay a little longer?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAS0N View Post
    Would be worth upgrading to premium membership as this will give you savings from various suppliers.
    I think Alex gives discount although may not be on printers but worth checking.
    Ah shame about the current printer, a new setup is definitely the way forward to ensure you get started off on the right foot.

As Jason said we do offer discount for premium members of the forum (membership is £10 per year I believe? - Best speaking to Justin forum admin regarding this) the discount we offer is 10% off all inks, paper and consumables. Sadly not off printers.

Please do PM me though I am sure we can work something for you and keep MrsQ happy :)

Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    | 01902 213533 |
    .uk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone, thanks for all your help.

Alex your a good salesman , I've been looking at Ink experts page at the dye sub printer packages on offer. I'm sort of decided on the WF-2630WF package, as I'm guessing for the sake of £7, it must be better to go with a WF model.

Time to get everything in baskets then when she's not looking, go for the purchases

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertyjon View Post
    Everyone, thanks for all your help.

Alex your a good salesman , I've been looking at Ink experts page at the dye sub printer packages on offer. I'm sort of decided on the WF-2630WF package, as I'm guessing for the sake of £7, it must be better to go with a WF model.

Time to get everything in baskets then when she's not looking, go for the purchases
    Haha thank you :) yes the £7 extra for the WF2630 over the XP352 is money well spent. The WF is much more robust and reliable in my experience!

Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    | 01902 213533 |
    .uk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The orders are in.... wish me luck lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even 36hrs after ordering, it's on my doorstep. Really easy to setup, fill cartridges, and get the profile installed. Straight off the bat, colours are coming through crisp, bright and vibrant. Thanks InkExperts!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwertyjon For This Useful Post:

InkExperts (07-08-2019)