Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. a3 aluminium photo panels
    By Joelmb in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-06-2018, 02:45 PM
  2. Alternative to branded Chromaluxe aluminium panels
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 22-08-2017, 12:41 PM
  3. Aluminium panels
    By Tokyad in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-07-2017, 11:11 PM
  4. Adkins and Chromalux wood panels
    By JMugs in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 02:26 PM
  5. chromalux
    By hakuna in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-03-2012, 07:08 PM
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chromalux Aluminium Panels

Hi,

I really need some help please

I started using the aluminium panels from Xpres a while back and didn't have any issues until now.
    Novachrome suggest using a couple of sheets of paper that can absorb moisture underneath and on top of the panel, pressed at 200 degrees for 80 seconds, firm pressure

Xpres (via a Chromaluxe Data Sheet) suggest 195 degrees for 186 seconds using endura fabric on the top, 5.5bar/80psi (which I understand is quite a heavy manual pressure http://marketing.xpres.co.uk/downloa...structions.pdf

Unisub.com/support, which is printed on the box they come in, suggest 200 degrees for 105-110 seconds using a nomex pad & endura fabric but no pressure guidelines https://w6u5f6r8.stackpathcdn.com/wp...Swing-Away.pdf

but on another of their data sheets, they say using a nomex pad & blowout paper at 60-70 psi on a large format press https://w6u5f6r8.stackpathcdn.com/wp..._HeatPress.pdf

I use an Adkins Manual Swing Press and I've always pressed at 200 degrees for 80-90 seconds with paper at the bottom, plate & transfer print side up and endura fabric on top.

I'm getting bubbles in the coating that during cooling down visibly shrink but not totally and are still there, or at best there are visible outlines all over the panel coating surface where the bubbles were before they flattened out.

I have no idea what's causing this but at £11 a panel I'm getting slightly peeed off with the wastage !!!!!
    Secondly, the huge variation in pressing guidelines from the above sources is an absolute joke that completely defies logic, rhyme and reason !
    Xpres give no indication of how often you should change the endura fabric and I've also looked for a nomex pad online but can't source one either.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas for a remedy because right now, I have no more hair left to pull out

Thanks so much in advance

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi. I haven't pressed Chromaluxe before but I remember reading somewhere that one of the key chemicals used in their production was banned and this may be affecting the final print. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't help either, but at £11.00 a pop I would be FUMING!

I personally would put the press in the back of the car, with some of your printed sheets, plus the panels and drive down to XPRES and either get them to show you how to get perfect panels or a complete refund including petrol etc.

You have good kit etc. so it has to be the product.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    Hi. I haven't pressed Chromaluxe before but I remember reading somewhere that one of the key chemicals used in their production was banned and this may be affecting the final print. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon.
    Hi, thanks for the info, I'll try and research it :-)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    I can't help either, but at £11.00 a pop I would be FUMING!

I personally would put the press in the back of the car, with some of your printed sheets, plus the panels and drive down to XPRES and either get them to show you how to get perfect panels or a complete refund including petrol etc.

You have good kit etc. so it has to be the product.
    Hi and thanks for your reply.

Although my press is really quite old, it hasn't seen much use in the grand scheme of things and has always served me well. But what's making me wonder is the fact that the 3 plates I've pressed and wasted, are the last of a box that the previous ones pressed perfectly ok.
    If push comes to shove, then I guess I'm going to have to go up there which is all I bloody need !!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Chromate was banned/restricted or something - a production consultant we were working with at one point said that Chromate was used to bind surfaces/coatings to metal and wasn't used anymore, and this was likely why we'd seen a degrading of Chromaluxe quality over the years to the point we had to give up using is for the main products we used to as the coating cracking and peeling was happening too much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what sizes you print but I press quite a few of them.
    I use 190C for 60 seconds with light/medium pressure. I ALWAYS have perfect print. I also don't use anything on top.
    Printed transfer on top of the pannel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand and size of panels do you press...?

What paper do you use for the transfer..?

J

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming you've contacted Xpres support already? If not that would be my first port of call so they can offer you advise directly.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bubbles would suggest something is turning to gas under the coating. If the bubbles are not in the same place every time, this should eliminate the press having hot spots.
    I have found xpres to be helpful, so I would say give them a call.

I used chip paper to cover mine when I did them (A2 size) I pre-pressed them as I always found water vapor came out of them, which was always a surprise.

Janners

Janners