Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Need some help with spots on mug when using Genie III mug press
    By Danabecks in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2019, 04:42 PM
  2. Coral 2 Mug Press hot spots
    By rabb in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-06-2015, 08:26 PM
  3. Coral 2 Mug Press hot spots
    By rabb in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-06-2015, 08:26 PM
  4. Testing heat press/plate for cold spots
    By Printcess Jen in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
  5. Cool spots on heat plate
    By gadgetsboy in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat press cool spots

Hi folks

I've got a HP305 press from BMS which until now has been brilliant (it's probably around 2 years old with around 900 cycles on the clock-thing).

Last ten or fifteen items, I'm getting a paler section right in the middle of the printed item. The rest of the print is perfect but a section the size of a playing card in the centre is faded.

I've increased time (a bit) and temperature (a bit) and pressure (quite a lot) but it's still there. It's particularly bad on large items like bar runners and larger glass sheets. Glass isn't so bad as I can increase the time - bar runners start to melt if you leave them too long (ask me how I know )

I'm wondering if this is a sign that the heating element is on it's way out, or whether it's a result of pressing lots of ceramic tiles in the centre of the press, which I imagine might have slightly bowed the platen (meaning that it's not making proper contact).

Any advice? How can I work out what's up? Need to know whether it's fixable or whether it's new press time...

Thanks

Ruth

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put something flat and solid across the platen and see if there’s a gap underneath (like a metal ruler or similar.)

Have you tried a Teflon pillow to level out the item being pressed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be time to replace the palten rubber.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrteajunkie - Thanks for quick reply and good suggestions! Off down to the studio now to check with my metal ruler.

Ahem... you mention a a teflon pillow. You've made me remember that I've got a red rubber sheet and several layers of teflon sheet on top of the base of the press which work well with tiles but might be cocking things up for other items. Will try removing those and see what happens.

pw66 - ummm, this is my first press, what's the palten rubber (platen rubber?) and is it replaceable? I've noticed a bit of grinding sensation when I'm cranking the press up or down recently, but the actual mechanism is hidden inside the top section. Thought about squirting some silicone spray up there but haven't been brave enough!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Platen rubber is the red rubber sheet on top of your platen. If you have been pressing tiles there could be a small indentation in the centre of the rubber that is reducing the pressure causing your paller section when you press.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    taken from the Stahls site:

Simple heat press maintenance tips to follow:

(1.) Lubrication – A new heat press is ready to use right out of the box with little worry about greasing wear points, but it’s important to inspect exposed rods at the pivot or “hinge” points every 6 months to a year and lightly lubricate these areas with high temp lithium grease. Note: Excessive lubrication on a heat press can lead to soiled garments, so take it easy with the grease!
    (2.) Heat Element – The main care for the heat element is to keep it clean. In most shops cleaning the heat element only happens after a transfer is flipped over and pressed causing a gooey mess! To remove ink from the heat element, simply use a piece of flannel or soft fabric and clean off the melted ink while the press is still hot, but be careful not to get burned.
    If cleaning off the ink while the machine is hot doesn’t work, turn off the press and after it’s cool, use a house hold surface cleaner or solvent recommended by the manufacture and wipe off the ink residue using a soft piece of flannel. Note: Don’t use a metal scraper or abrasive materials to clean the heat element.
    (3.) Lower Rubber pad – The rubber pad is made of a high temp silicone rubber that will start to wear after time causing low areas on the edges or in the middle. To check the pad for wear, place strips of paper at each corner of the pad and lock down the heat platen. If the paper can be easily pulled out while the press is locked down, the pad could be worn in these areas causing poor application pressure.
    Solution: Replacement pad kits are available from heat press manufactures
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrs maggot For This Useful Post:

RuthWinchester (06-08-2019)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I think you may have solved my problem!
    I didn't realise the cover came off the platen so I took the rubber sheet off and turned it over & through 180 degrees. Seems to have solved it, at least for now.
    I'm also going to take Mrs Maggot's advice to lubricate the pivot section.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to offer sage advice...
    Ruth