Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low tack mat too tacky!

Hi in need of some advice please. I'm trying to cut out some Tshirt shaped flyers using 180gsm paper on my Cameo 3. The problem I am having is when I put the paper on my low tack cutting mat the Cameo cuts absolutely fine but I'm having trouble peeling the paper off the mat and when I do manage to peel it off it's curled up and unusable! Any ideas please?

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Use a towel or fleece to remove as much tack as possible by rolling it over the mat a few times. Really speaking, you need to keep different mats of different tackiness for different jobs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't use the proper cutting mats for my cutter. I prefer using kids play mats called Messy Mats. They are more flexible, waaaaay cheaper, longer lasting, and come without any adhesive tack, meaning that I can keep respraying my mats with 3M ReMount repositionable spray as and when required, to any tackiness level I need. I currently have over 20 mats, some brand new and some in use. You can always cut them down to fit the Cameo.

https://www.bakerross.co.uk/messy-mats?&utm_source=nmpidigital.com&utm_medium=affili ates&ref=422173&_$ja=tsid:22499&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gcli d=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_KULrrzOXh8HrQ4SD3wFjE_9 rPPidvL-eZN_Rh1pjb5fqxVtKBzsuBoCqYUQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by webtrekker; 23-08-2019 at 08:09 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to webtrekker For This Useful Post:

Brant (23-08-2019)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webtrekker.... Brilliant advice, thank you! Once again this forum has come to my rescue!
    Ta

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No worries. Just a further little tip though...

The 3M ReMount spray (green can) can be quite expensive, so shop around a bit, but it's excellent stuff so don't be tempted to buy cheap rubbish from ebay that strings and covers your mat in globs of adhesive.

I've been using the Messy Mats for well over 5 years now and will never go back to manufacturer's recommended cutting mats. They're a complete rip-off.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one thanks... Looks really good stuff so will get some ordered. Reading a couple of reviews on the 3M Remount they mention that some residue is left on the card/paper when it's removed, is this normal as I obviously don't want any on the back of the flyers or is it a case that these people are using too much of it to stick it? Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I've never had that problem with the ReMount spray, and I've cut everything from paper and card to magnetic sheets and Mylar stencil material.

I always make sure I shake the can well before spraying and just spray on a couple of light coats. As I said above, if the mat ends up too sticky just roll a clean towel or rag over it to remove some of the tackiness.

I've never cleaned or washed a Messy Mat. For one thing, they're so cheap you can just throw them away if they aren't up to scratch any more! All I do is is keep respraying over the top of the existing coat. However, if you do want to remove the coating to leave a clean mat then I can thoroughly recommend this stuff -
    https://www.crafterscompanion.co.uk/.../?q=Stick+away

Just spray it on and scrape your mat (I use an old credit card as a scraper) and it will remove ALL of the sticky coating. Then just give the mat a quick wash, dry it off and respray with a new coating of ReMount.

You should be able to reclaim some of your Cameo mats too. If you've been cutting thin paper and it's stuck all over the mat it's usually better to remove it all with the Stick Away spray and spray a new coating of ReMount on than to spend ages fiddling around trying to pick pieces of torn paper off the mat.
    Last edited by webtrekker; 24-08-2019 at 10:25 AM.