Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Tax question.
    By Mugshots in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16-11-2016, 09:28 AM
  2. Hi! (with a question)
    By sas98kgj in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2015, 09:07 AM
  3. Jet Pro Question
    By pieces in forum Transfers & Transfer Papers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM
  4. What causes this, and another question....HELP!
    By socialgiraffe in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-05-2014, 05:16 PM
  5. Can I ask this question?
    By danlad in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 21-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mug question

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mug question

Hi

I've just printed some text onto some white 11oz mugs, the text has come out great but the background has come out ever so slightly off white and in certain lights you can see exactly where the paper was attached to the mug. In another post in the printing issues section my printer was actually printing a very faint background but this issue is now sorted (I think) and the image I printed for this mug is a PNG so has no background. I'm using an ST210 press, Sublinova ink and Ink Experts Paper which I've got to say I've never had a problem with. Press is preheated to 125, mug is put in and heated to 170 for 170 secs. These settings have worked fine until now?? Help please!

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm having difficulty determining your issue from that image Rich. The whole mug has a yellow cast to me!

The best way to check if your image has a faint background colour is to view it in Photoshop (other graphics software is available!) and roll the mouse over the background to see if the RGB values change to anything other than 255, 255, 255 in the Info panel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to webtrekker For This Useful Post:

garyuk (21-02-2020)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi webtrekker, the area is really faint, I've attached another photo, the red dots show where the problem starts/finishes. The area is exactly where the paper was applied to the mug and is only really visible in certain lights and if you look really hard. I've looked at a mug that I did a few days ago with the same image on and is absolutely fine? Cheers

20190902_080805.jpg
    Last edited by RichG; 02-09-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Have you tried washing the mug in hot soapy water to remove any residue that may have been transferred from the paper?

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again, having played around with a few things I've found that my printer is actually printing over the white background. It isn't visible on the paper but I've watched the printer and it's actually printing the page from top to bottom even when the image is placed at the bottom of the page? I've just tried printing the image through Windows and it pulls the paper through and only prints the image at the bottom. Trouble is using the printer through windows I can't use the ICC profile??? Cheers
    Last edited by RichG; 02-09-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is Photoshop set to RGB or CMYK output?

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The image is in RGB but then the ICC profile is applied in the printer settings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can see the line on the original (yellow) image. Run the eye dropper tool over the background and make sure that the background is RGB 255 pure white.

If it is pure white, then it could be that Photoshop is not picking up your ICC profile. Or some of your settings have changed. Photoshop can sometimes throw a wobbler.

Check that: Photoshop Manages Colors in Color Handling and the correct profile is selected.

Try re-installing your ICC profile.

Check that ICM no color management is set in your printer driver.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 02-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, yes done all that a few times now thanks! Looks like Windows decided to update my 2 pcs over the weekend and it's buggered everything up......photoshop, printer and networks! Going to backdate them and see what happens! Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There's one sure way to check your image. In Photoshop, select all of the white around the main image and delete it. Check that it's all gone by selecting that layer again and the selection box should just touch the sides of the central image, indicating that everything outside of that is transparent.

Save the result as a transparent PNG and try printing and pressing that. If it turns out ok then it looks like it might be the original image. If nothing has changed then at least you know the image is fine.

As for Windows, I never allow it (or any program for that matter) to make automatic updates. I check first to see what is to be updated and then decide if I'm willing to take the risk.
    Last edited by webtrekker; 02-09-2019 at 05:51 PM.