Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 02:30 AM
  2. Acrylic cutter
    By Andysam26467 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 08:00 PM
  3. Acrylic
    By Wraggy78 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-08-2012, 10:50 PM
  4. Recommendations for a new guillotine/cutter
    By Justin in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM
  5. Sublimated Acrylic
    By Justin in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acrylic cutter recommendations

Hi all, i know this probably isnt the right place to put it but....on the basis i want to sub on it i put it here :)

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a hobby version of a machine that cuts acrylic? I want to start making a product but havent got a budget for a huge machine.

Thanks guys xx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What thickness of acrylic? Thin stuff, up to about 3mm can be scored and snapped over the edge of a table. This produces a nice, straight and clean edge.

Thicker stuff can be cut with table saws with special blades, or routers with special acrylic cutters. The main problems with cutting acrylic are splintering and melting during cutting.

Also, if you want a smooth edge, you can run a flame along the edge to polish it, or use fine grades of sandpaper.

The best option, but way more expensive, is to buy a laser cutter, or have it laser cut at additional cost by an outside firm.

Bending acrylic is dead easy with a dedicated hot wire bender, which I've covered extensively in another thread (my own DIY version).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    What thickness of acrylic? Thin stuff, up to about 3mm can be scored and snapped over the edge of a table. This produces a nice, straight and clean edge.

Thicker stuff can be cut with table saws with special blades, or routers with special acrylic cutters. The main problems with cutting acrylic are splintering and melting during cutting.

Also, if you want a smooth edge, you can run a flame along the edge to polish it, or use fine grades of sandpaper.

The best option, but way more expensive, is to buy a laser cutter, or have it laser cut at additional cost by an outside firm.

Bending acrylic is dead easy with a dedicated hot wire bender, which I've covered extensively in another thread (my own DIY version).
    I think I might have to via the cutter route as I want to be able to cut and image and a name each time and they'll all be different. I was thinking a 2mm acrylic. x

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I know you said you wanted to sub on the acrylic in your first post. Have you tried this yet? Although it takes sublimation well, it's difficult to keep flat when cooling, which is why I eventually gave up on this. May be ok for very small items though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    Hmm... I know you said you wanted to sub on the acrylic in your first post. Have you tried this yet? Although it takes sublimation well, it's difficult to keep flat when cooling, which is why I eventually gave up on this. May be ok for very small items though.
    i'll give it a go :) it would be a decent size piece of acrylic so i'll do a test one first before I go any further :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolm1a View Post
    i'll give it a go :) it would be a decent size piece of acrylic so i'll do a test one first before I go any further :)
    If it's 2mm or 3mm acrylic it will flop around when you remove it from the press. I've tried weighting it down but it still tends to buckle slightly at the edges. Also, be careful what you lay on top of it as it will take up the pattern of book coverds etc! Best bet is to lay the hot acrylic between two sheets of toughened glass.

I 'cook' this stuff the same as aluminium sheet: 190°C for 60 secs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Laser cutting will automatically give it a nice smooth edge. If you search the forum, a link was provided for a company who do this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's pretty expensive though having pieces laser cut, especially when you consider that sheet acrylic is relatively cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd been hoping that there was a small A4 size hobby cutter that was available rather than having to get a company to cut them. I'll maybe have a browse on ebay :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Using a saw or cutter leaves a cut with ridges and rough, whereas the laser leaves it very smooth as it melts the edges. The cost didn't bother me at the time as it was a high end product, but if you're doing small cheap items, I can understand that you'll need to keep costs low. I'll see if I can find the link later.