Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Looking for a 720mm Cutter Advice required
    By quimby44 in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2018, 01:31 PM
  2. HP Z2100 Printer - Advice Required
    By Justin in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 09:35 PM
  3. Pin Badge Machine - Advice Required
    By Justin in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
  4. newbie with some questions/advice required please!
    By ck1 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-01-2011, 03:53 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very basic advice required please.

Hi , as a complete novice, how should i best go about acquiring equipment and guidance?
    I intend initially to purchase a mug press, but obviously want to avoid purchasing a dud. In addition, is there a specific place to look on the site for such matters.
    I need as much info on the start up phase as is possible. Thanks, Robbie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    you will need both a mug press AND a printer specifically set up with sublimation inks.
    Ideally you also need an ICC profile, - so the printer prints the correct colours so you mugs look good.

The lowest cost solutions (ebay / second hand etc) will not include any support, or the ICC profile, - so you will waste a lot of time and materials trying to get it right.

The 'full service' solutions - sawgrass printer, quality press etc will cost more, but will include training and technical support ( EG The Magic Touch etc)

There are some contributers on this forum that are part way between these extremes, - perhaps offering 3rd party low cost inks on modified printers and some support.

As a beginner, - I would probably suggest you go for a supported solution so you get great results and can work on selling and growing your business instead of doing lots of experimenting and producing poor or inconsistant products.
    imho
    Phil
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice logobear, appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robbie,

Sorry to answer this late but I just joined.

As you will need a printer first, it is my 32 years of buying used/new printers that buy a new sublimation ink heat transfer printer. Here in the US I buy my sub printers from Conde but there are a other sellers who also sell new printers and all have the color profiles for that particular printer.

Once you decide on a printer then comes the heat press. I got tired of high prices for the different heat presses so I bought a cap press (under $100 delivered) and a mug press ($95 delivered) and a 15x15" heat press ($130 delivered) on Ebay US. The Chinese presses have no bells or whistles and I've been using them since 2015. I figured that I could use them, make some profit then buy a nicer one but since they're working fine why waste money on something I don't need YET.

I purchased a brand new 15x15" heat press from National Screen Printing in 1992 and only had to replace the on/off switch ($3) and the thermostat $25). Still runs perfectly and no warpage on the platens.

In some cases, especially when a person 1st starts out, money is tight and possibly buying an inexpensive heat press could be the way to go. Let the heat press make some money, put some aside and when you can afford it, upgrade.

Just my thoughts. Hope this helps.

Fred
    Melbourne Fl USA
    USMC Retired

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toonsign For This Useful Post:

GermanDyeSub (28-11-2019), pw66 (28-11-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to sublimation as well, and I'm currently researching the best way to go.
    For printer, I'll probably buy the Sawgrass Sg400 new, that way I'll have support (hopefully) for any issues.
    I'm swaying more toward an oven rather than, a mug press. I don't really want to spend £400 on an oven just yet, so I'll probably buy a Halogen Oven (Under £100) or Air Fryer (£25 on Amazon today).
    Once I make some money, then I'll re-invest it in buying a Blizzard Convection Oven.
    I'm not starting until the new year as I'm too busy before Christmas, and I'm going to visit Xpres before I make any final decisions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go for a Sawgrass Sg400 new, there is a black friday deal so you could get if for 299. Will send you a PM about that supplier as the supplier doesn't want to be mentioned here on the forums.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GermanDyeSub For This Useful Post:

Mug (29-11-2019)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After saying I am swaying toward an oven (halogen or air fryer to start), I've just bought a Mug Press! Surprise to me too! :)
    After saying, I'm waiting until the New Year and going to Xpres before making any final decisions, I've just bought a printer, press, mugs, paper... :)
    Damn you Black friday!! Hahaha....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a halogen oven and it works great, defo recommend this cheaper option if you are just trying things out.